028. an endless void

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Twenty-eight
An endless void.

 ❜

THE BLUE DANUBE lullaby was the only mellifluous thing to exist during that tough morning

THE BLUE DANUBE lullaby was the only mellifluous thing to exist during that tough morning. The mellow melody blasted from one side of Aera's ear and out of the other. It sort of brought her a sunny warmth, it enveloped her heart within its pretty notes and brought peace on her mind.

Blinking slowly, trying to keep some indignant tears at bay, Aera recalled the rough nights she used to have as a child. She used to have mind scarring nightmares, ones that caused her to wail deafeningly, the entire neighbourhood would file complaints. When the golden sun shone its rays in the morning, Aera would find her cheeks sticky with old tears, and her Hello Kitty blanket would be soaked with those same tears.

Some stormy nights, those monstrous nightmares were too terrifying for ten year old Aera, it was too much stress for her little shoulders. So, her Appa would make a some sweet tasting lemon tea that swished around within a porcelain cup with orchids painted on the surface of it. The older, wiser man with a kind smile, would tuck his young daughter to bed whilst humming a familiar tune: The Blue Danube.

Over a short period of time, Aera's wailing stopped, the entire neighbourhood was thankful for that, her brothers and Oma too. Though, sometimes she missed her Appa tucking her in to bed, so she'd pretend to have a nightmare- soon her Appa caught on and tucked Aera into bed every single night, whether his daughter had a nightmare or not.

After three minutes, the soft harmony was brought to an end, and Hwang Aera was left staring at herself with a tightened jaw, at her reflection within the mirror. Even with a pristine, spotless bathroom mirror, it was still easy to pick out the grime and impurities imprinted upon Aera's fair skin. An array of purples and dark greens littered her neck- they were still there, a constant reminder of the times she felt weak, belittled.

Fixating her soulless, almost defeated looking eyes on to her tiny frame, she could almost see an endless void forming within her chest. The only thing filling that void was determination. Aera needed to do something, something to take her mind away from the festering pain that wounded her.