023. graveyard of broken hopes

I LOVE YOU SO
Chapter Nineteen
Graveyard of broken hopes.

ANTICIPATING THE GREAT unknown, a large deal of dread ran through Aera's veins as the number of people left partnerless decreased

ANTICIPATING THE GREAT unknown, a large deal of dread ran through Aera's veins as the number of people left partnerless decreased. With crossed arms, Aera gripped tightly at both sides of her sleeves as she chewed on her bottom lip. Every time someone declined her offer of becoming their partner, her heart plummeted deeper within the depths of her fears every time.

Wandering her eyes over towards the corner of the room, her eyes landed on Gi-hun who was stood alone, his expression was faraway, as if deep in thought. A wave of relief washed over Aera's features as she hurried by his side.

"Thank goodness you're still here," a breezy chuckle left Aera's lips, a smile widened on her lips as Gi-hun craned his neck over to look at her. "Do you have a partner yet Gi-hun," placing a palm on his shoulder, Aera grinned brightly, before it faltered as a thought ran through her mind. "Actually, it might be best if we don't pair up."

If Aera was willing to sacrifice herself for both Ji-yeong and Sae-byeok. Then that would take Gi-hun's life too if he were to be her partner, which wasn't what Aera wanted. Not for anyone at all.

"I really don't want to make it any awkward Aera," shifting between his feet with hung down shoulders and a remorseful smile, "but really, I'm not sure if I want to partner up with women-"

"No, no, no," shaking her head, half understandingly, a gentle smile painted across Aera's face, "it's not that."

"Oh okay," blinking a few times, even letting out a relieved chuckle, "that's great because I . . ." Noticing the silence between them, he leant towards the side, "hang on," trying to catch Aera's distant stare, he waved his hand briefly in front of her face when she didn't answer, "if it's not that then what is it?" Gi-hun knitted his eyebrows, puzzled.

Deciding there was no point in explaining her theory again, since the time was wasting away rapidly, Aera brought her eyes towards her feet, "nothing," lifting her eyes back on to Gi-hun's worried ones, she began to stride away, "good luck Gi-hun." She saluted with both her index and middle finger pressed together, whilst trying her best to give him a brave smile.