/ THE EPILOGUE

I LOVE YOU SO
The Epilogue
❛ Getting away and letting go.

 ❜

LIMBS SPRAWLED OUT on the mushy sands, grains of it clung onto her arid skin

LIMBS SPRAWLED OUT on the mushy sands, grains of it clung onto her arid skin. They paired with the granules of salt that meandered across her limbs, due to the sea water evaporating from her tainted skin. Her toes were pruned, and one might think they were permanently wrinkled, due to the push and pull of the tides, that constantly blanketed the ends of her legs. Frostbitten, benumbed, she didn't flinch when some opalescent shells grazed her skin as waves flowed in and onto her lower body.

Midnight breezes rushed through the open flaps of her buttoned down shirt, revealing semi-stomach and shoulders. Since, the material was ripped apart as a makeshift gauze few hours prior. As minutes passed, the winds wavered and grew harsher, as though to say: wake up.

There was a disturbance in the unconsciousness of the woman, lines etched themselves more prominently into her forehead, as her eyebrows knitted together. The cracked skin on her lips felt tight as she pursed them, teeth gritting together as reality came surging back to her.

The scruffy bun that her hair was pulled into, had fallen into a river of hair, her seaweed tangled tresses fanned around her. With fingertips aquiver, she found her palms against her temples, in desperate need to compress the pounding headache that formed within her skull— The white noise soon morphed into indistinctive voices, and she couldn't distinguish if they came from her surroundings, or her mind. As a result of the past week, everything within her skull was blemished from her experiences: her mind, body, soul.

"HEY, DO YOU SEE THEM? OVER THERE?"

A beat.

"OH SHIT— ARE THEY EVEN ALIVE?"

The words that the voices yelled definitely came from her surroundings. However, within her tarnished mind, the sounds were twisted into bullets, throat-tearing screams . . . They encircled her tight skull, causing crevices to carve into the surface, and she feared that it could implode.