ARC 5 - Chapter 5.12

It was not only Ding Shiang who didn’t get a good night’s sleep last night. When they remembered the playground they saw while checking the terrain, they ran over in the middle of the night and cleared the zombies there, waiting to give Qing Yun a surprise in the morning.

Qing Xiaoyun was very curious about everything and naturally will not refuse Ding Shiang and Li Ye.

The entire playground is empty and neglected. The originally most lively place is left with only patchy colors. All sorts of equipment have stopped turning and are stationed there alone.

But it was different in Qing Xiaoyun’s eyes. Every single thing here was new to him.

Looking at the cheerful and curious youth in this quiet to eerie playground, a trace of sourness flooded the hearts of the adults present.

There was a photo wall standing alone in the playground, and the laughing faces of the people on it attracted Qing Xiaoyun to come closer. He looked at the photo of the colorful and gorgeous playground, the blue sky, and the green grass and trees. Then, he turned around and looked behind him, and his heart also felt that something was amiss.

This world, it’s like it’s sick.

Sheng Feng and the others also could not help but come over and see the scene in the photo with a bitter smile.

“It has been so long since I have seen a scene like this, I thought I had almost forgotten.” Ding Shiang raised his hand and rubbed his face, tears glittering in his eyes. Before the end of the world, he had a young son who had just turned three years old and a gentle and caring wife. The three of them often played in playgrounds in their free time.

But such cheerful smiles made the bitter memories in Ding Shiang’s mind extremely horrifying. The morning the end times came, he opened his eyes and saw his son, who had turned into a zombie, biting his wife’s throat.

He witnessed as his beloved wife and son became rotten, festered, and transformed into disgusting monsters that chased him frantically. And after breaking down and suffering, Ding Shiang took the knife himself and chopped off their heads with tears in his eyes.

Chen Min and the others also lowered their heads to hide the nostalgia in their eyes.

Sheng Feng did not have the same feelings as Ding Shiang. He was a retired soldier and had always been alone. However, out of some deep-rooted sense of responsibility, he would help those around him after the end of the world.

But for himself, Sheng Feng was passive. He does not have a big goal, and even his desire to live was not very strong. He seemed to be in a state where he was full of love for the world and indifferent at the same time.

He just used his ability as a tool, traveling around to see the whole post-apocalyptic life and giving a helping hand when necessary.

But now it’s different. For the first time, Sheng Feng has someone he wants to protect.

Sheng Feng went up, carried the child to the carousel that he was obviously interested in, and asked him, “Want to play?”

“Want!” The hint of something wrong slowly hid in his heart, and Qing Xiaoyun nodded excitedly towards Sheng Feng.

Sheng Feng’s ability activated, then the carousel slowly turned. There was no pleasant music, and the only accompaniment was the creaking sound of the long-unused machine.

But Qing Xiaoyun enjoyed it, sitting and spinning around again and again.

Sheng Feng watched with a smile on his face. After a long time, he felt that something was not right. The young man sitting on the merry-go-round who had collected his smile but remained calm and gentle was Qing Yun.