56

Grabbing the two mugs of freshly brewed warm black tea, Junghye walked out of the house, towards the patio where Jin was sitting while reading a book.

"It was great today, right?" she asked, placing one of the mugs next to him before sitting down on one of the rattan-made chairs, right next to him.

"Yeah, apart from you've tricked me," he uttered, taking a sip of his tea. "It was great."

"Hihi. Never in a million years had I ever thought that you would want to save me," she grinned, staring into her tea before taking a few sips from it.

Jin went back to reading his book while Junghye was staring out at the night view of the resort town, soft breezes blowing across their faces for that one calm night.

She silently glanced over to him, who still had his focus on his book. A soft smile appeared on her face, just right when he suddenly looked over to her.

"After all those bad things I did to you... Tell me, Doctor Kim," she spoke, pulling up her legs onto the edge of her seat and hugging them as she went on, "was there any memorable moment of the past that you still had in your mind?"

"Well, nothing beats the first one," he answered, closing his book and placing them on the table. He then looked over to her. "The day when your friends encouraged you to lose me first to become 'the Queen'."

"What actually did you tell your class when your teacher asked you to describe the 'person that you love and care the most'?"

Jin sniggered. He leaned back to his seat, shaking his head.

"Was that it? We were kids. We only had each other, so of course, you were the only one in my mind at that time," he explained.

Junghye went completely silent, biting her lip as he continued.

"I told them that 'I love my best friend Im Junghye from the next class because she always protects me and is always there for me. She loves to paint and the moon is her favorite. I hope that we will stay together until our old days.'"

"That's..." she chuckled, taking another sip of her tea. She placed down her mug, letting her fingers lingered around the handle as she mumbled; "That's cheesy. We were so young that time, and you said that to the whole class? Wow."

She let out a little laugh, shaking her head in disbelief with what she had just heard.

"'... will stay together until our old days.' That statement just... answered my curiosity," she muttered. "You said that you hate me because I always make you afraid of losing me."

Jin then straightened his posture and leaned closer to the table, slowly grabbing her cold left hand.

"It has always been like that, Im Junghye. Remember that even after what you've done to me, I was still following you around? Because I just want to see you, every single day."

Their eyes met once Junghye looked up at him, while her hand was still in his.

"Jin..." she softly called out. When he hummed his response, she let out a shaky breath but asked him anyway.

"Is it possible for you to fall in love with me?"

He tilted his head a bit, and the corner of his lips went up as he extended his arm, reaching out to cup her cheek.

His thumb softly caressed her cheek, as he whispered: "Why would it be impossible?"

Junghye stared at him, feeling a bit confused.

She wanted to believe her ears, but she put it aside, telling herself that her ears were tricking her.

She pulled away a bit from him, feeling totally flustered with his words and actions. She tried to think quickly about what to do next, but her mind went totally blank.