69

"The last checkup she had was..." Geunji paused as he assessed Junghye's medical report that had just been updated. "A few months ago, in New Zealand. Her doctor there had sent us the data and all, so we could continue monitoring her."

"So that was the reason she went there last time," Jin sighed, taking the report from his friend.

"According to her doctor, she... had not much time to live," Jin's father said, examining the resulting photos of Junghye's latest CT scan.

"But if we do surgery on her?" Jin asked again.

"Maybe she can live longer. The thing is, the survival rate for her after the surgery will be fifty-fifty because the tumor had become worse. Good thing it grows on top of her head, but to do a full removal, we will have to perform a craniotomy on her," his father explained further.

The mention of that surgery made Jin bite his lips, and Geunji added; "You know that craniotomy is a very serious surgery."

"But I have you and my father. Both of you are the best in this field," Jin claimed, then he looked over to his father. "How far is the difference between hers and... grandma?"

"Your grandma was detected when she was a bit older, and the chances to survive were almost none. That was why she had decided to not have the surgery. But Junghye," his father sighed as he passed the photos over to Geunji as he went on, "she had been detected with the tumor when she was still young."

"What do you mean 'young'?"

"When she was fifteen, son. The tumor growth rate was a bit slow, that's how she got to live up until now. But then suddenly, her tumor grew at a random rate. Sometimes it grew quick, sometimes it didn't. It's bizarre, and I've never seen such a case."

"The choice is yours, Seokjin. You can talk about this first with your wife," his father added. "She can do chemotherapy but... I don't want anything to happen to my grandchild."

Jin saw the sad look on his father's face at the mention of his upcoming grandchild and nodded.

"Alright. I'll talk with her," Jin agreed, standing up and straightening out his doctor coat.

"Son, are you alright? You don't seem fine," his father asked, noticing the weak look of his son as he walked over to the door, ready to leave the meeting room.

"I'm fine, dad. I'm... fine," Jin smiled and finally opened the door, leaving the room behind.

With his hands in his pockets, he made his way to Junghye's private room on the other side of the floor.

He stared at the door and knocked on it. He opened the door and smiled as she looked over at him with her wide eyes.

"Jinnie," she grinned as he walked over to her bedside and gave her a tight hug.

"Have you taken your shower yet?" he asked, kissing the top of her head.

"Haha, I took it two hours ago while you were at your meeting," she giggled, closing the book she had been reading while waiting for him.

"Is that..."

"Oh, 'Moon'. I have been reading this book since the first time I got it," she said, picking the book up and showing it to him.

"You've been re-reading them?"

"Yeah. I never got bored of it. Plus, it was a special book, given by someone," she mumbled the last words and looked at him sheepishly. "This is the book that you gave to me on that day."

His brows furrowed when she said that and immediately crossed his arms over his chest as something went back to his memory.

"So that's why I got fined by the school library," he revealed.