Chapter 3: The Ravenclaw and the Hufflepuff

You sat in the library and tapped the end of your quill against your chin while staring down at the roll of blank parchment in front of you. McGonagall had assigned your third-year class with a particularly challenging homework assignment so you were attempting to make a start on that, much to the protest of the twins. You scanned the recommended reading list that McGonagall had assigned at the beginning of the term and marked the ones you were going to use.

As you moved to get up and start looking for the books, Fred got your attention, "psst Y/N, look - I drew you," he said pointing to the corner of his parchment. You squinted at it and then reached over and turned the page slightly to see if that would help you understand what on earth you were seeing on his parchment.

"That looks like a Grindylow, Freddie," you said to him. "I know, and I actually think it captures you perfectly, love," he responded with a wink. That earned him a halfhearted shove in the shoulder from you as you stood up and went looking for your books.

Once you found what you needed you started making your way back to your table, but then you spotted Harry, Ron and Hermione huddled over a number of ancient looking books at a table nearby. You walked over to them, whispering a greeting before sitting down on the bench beside Hermione. Hermione explained with exasperation that they were searching for information on a legendary magical stone but were coming up empty. Ron groaned "is it time for dinner yet?" and Madam Pince shushed him from where she was patrolling the rows of tables.

"How are you always hungry, Ronald?" Hermione hissed at him which made you giggle, "it's definitely a Weasley thing, Hermione."

Harry smirked at your comment but Hermione had already zoned out of the conversation and was focused once again on the book in front of her. You wracked your brain for any books that could help their search for a stone, and you listed a number of books off the top of your head that related to magical artefacts and the history of the school, but Hermione insisted that they'd already looked at those.

You considered that for a moment before asking, "what about Idella Barrow's paper on Magical Minerals and Miscellaneous Gems? It's in the potions section."

Hermione's eyes widened and then she smiled at you, gave you a quick hug and then dashed to the potions section. Ron looked at you, puzzled, "how do you know about magical rocks Y/N? Do you want to help her instead of us?"

You chuckled and shook your head, "I looked at it for a Potions essay, something about the properties of certain minerals and their effect on the reactions of specific ingredients." You were met with blank stares from the two boys, "I think you lost us at 'Potions' to be honest," Harry admitted. You shook your head fondly at the pair and then stood up and made your way back to your own table.

Once you got back you saw Fred lying with his forehead against the desk, and George was sleeping with his chin resting on his hand. You rolled your eyes at them and once you sat back down beside Fred, he turned slightly so his face was angled towards you, while still lying flat on the desk.

"She wants us dead Y/N," he grumbled, you raised your eyes skeptically at this statement, "who does?"

He groaned, "McGonagall, she wants us to die of boredom. What other reason could she possibly have for giving us such a rubbish essay to do?"

You sighed and ruffled his red hair which had grown out slightly since second year, "it has to be done, Freddie," he exhaled loudly and closed his eyes, "what would it take for me to convince you to write this for me?"

"One hundred Galleons and you've got yourself a deal, Weasley"

Fred shot up into a sitting position, looking aghast, "you can't be serious!?"