Chapter 60: The Return

A/N: This was extremely satisfying to write <3

-----

Loud voices woke you up from your deep sleep, and you stuck your head out from under the blanket to see Hermione standing in the middle of the tent and gaping in total bewilderment, and then she walked quickly out of the tent. You hurriedly climbed out from your bunk and pulled your boots on over your jeans, but then the sound of someone calling you stopped you in your tracks.

"Y/N?" that familiar voice called anxiously and you half ran into the common area of the tent. Just inside the entrance stood Fred, his eyes scanning the tent looking for you. His hair was overgrown and lay just long enough to pass the nape of his neck, though it was brushed back out of his eyes, and a light stubble dusted his face. His warm brown eyes had dark circles underneath them, which probably matched yours from weeks of worrying about him.

You froze when you saw him, feeling the breath leaving your lungs as you saw the love of your life standing in front of you for the first time in seven long weeks.

"Freddie?" you whispered tearfully and his gaze immediately flicked over to you and he visibly relaxed at the sight of you. You stood looking at each other in mild disbelief for a moment, and then he smiled that beautiful smile of his and you ran across the tent towards him. He met you halfway and swept you up into his arms and off the floor, just as you flung your arms around his neck.

"Oh, darling," he murmured croakily while you held onto him tightly, not daring to loosen your grip in case he disappeared again.

You sobbed in relief into the crook of his neck, and he gripped you tightly against him and breathed shakily, crying too. As he held you up in his arms you tangled your fingers in his hair and leaned back to kiss his head and face, every inch of him you could reach. He set you down on your feet again but didn't let go of you, instead he pressed a firm and lingering kiss to your lips and held your face in his hands, before pulling back to look at you properly.

You stared at him, touching his face with your fingertips to make sure he was really there after all this time. He smiled lovingly at you and you cupped his slightly stubbled face in one hand and gently brushed a falling tear away with your thumb. He rested one hand on the one you had holding his cheek and turned his face slightly to kiss your palm, while holding your face in his other hand.

His eyes scanned your face as if he was also reassuring himself that you were actually there in front of him, "it's so good to see your face again, love." You smiled wetly as you looked up at his beautiful eyes, and took in the face you'd missed desperately.

"I missed you, Fred," you told him, your voice breaking, and then you pulled him close and he immediately captured your lips with his. He held your face and you gripped onto his jacket as he kissed you urgently and more deeply than before, as if he were a starving man, and you allowed yourself to be overwhelmed by his presence, forgetting everything around you but him.

"I love you. I love you," he whispered against your lips between kisses and you tangled your hands in his hair again, pulling him closer if that were possible.

"I love you, Fred," you murmured breathily as you pulled back for air and he kissed your forehead and then straightened up to look at you again, scanning your face as if memorising it. You both wore matching smiles of adoration as you looked at each other, both of you finally feeling whole again.

"Wait- are the others..." you asked, suddenly remembering where you were, and he nodded, smiling softly at you.

"Yeah they're here, Ron and George are with Harry. I ran ahead to find you but they should be caught up by now. I just needed to see you as soon as I could, I couldn't wait another damn minute," he admitted shamelessly, you grinned at him and leaned up to kiss him again, and he gently cupped your neck and kissed you back eagerly, breathing you in completely.