Chapter 25: The Rescue

As you lined up outside Grimmauld Place, Mad-Eye glanced at you, "you'd better not slow us down, girl." You bit back the snarky retort that almost escaped your lips in which you called him an old man, and instead just nodded, "I won't." You mounted your broom and took off into the air alongside the others, suddenly grateful for your speed and flying practice from Quidditch as you followed the older witches and wizards across London. You were in complete awe as you looked down, having never flown anywhere other than the school grounds, and now you were looking at the familiar London landscape from a completely different perspective.

You almost laughed aloud in delight as you flew along the Thames and under Westminster Bridge, then past Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster. They were landmarks you'd seen so many times growing up, but now you were flying past them on a broom. The realisation was oddly funny to you and you laughed in disbelief just as Tonks flew up beside you, "impressive from up here, isn't it?" she asked cheerfully as you flew up into the darkening sky and over buildings in the direction of Surrey.

You came to a land in the lamplit street outside Number 4, Privet Drive which was Harry's house. Mad-Eye turned around and nodded in acknowledgement of a small older lady who stood in her doorway across the street. You assumed she was Arabella Figg, the squib who you'd been told about on the journey over.

"Do we knock?" you asked timidly, looking up at the dark house.

"Do. We. Knock?" Mad-Eye repeated incredulously. You shrugged defensively, "this is a Muggle housing estate, Mad-Eye, people don't tend to blast open doors with magic." To your surprise, the old wizard didn't reply and just looked at you expectantly with a narrowed eye, the magical one scanning your face.

You walked up to the front door and knocked on the door, waiting for an answer which you didn't get. You tried the door handle but as you expected, it was locked and you heard Mad-Eye grumbling behind you and as he marched up the driveway after you. You pulled out your wand, "Alohomora," you whispered and then you pushed open the door.

Mad-Eye pushed past you and scowled, "full marks for manners, we should stop in at Buckingham Palace next if you want more practice."

You sighed in exasperation as you followed him upstairs quietly, and he was undoubtedly following the mysterious guidance of his magical eye. The only closed bedroom door was assumed to be Harry's and Mad-Eye pointed his wand at the keyhole as you all gathered on the upstairs landing.

You heard the key hit the floorboards inside the room and then Moody slammed open the door with a wave of his wand, not exactly trying to keep a low profile.

"Very clean, these Muggles. It's unnatural" Tonks whispered in mild disgust as she looked around the upstairs hallway.

You scowled as the others around you started peeking nosily into Harry's room, and you pushed past them with your lit wand in front of you. Harry sighed in relief at the sight of you, "Y/N!" You crossed the room in two steps and pulled the boy into your arms and he gratefully accepted the hug.

"This is all very touching and I think I might cry for you both, but we need to get a move on," Moody scowled sarcastically from behind you, and then Harry pulled back from the hug and looked over your shoulder warily.

"Professor Moody?" he said as more of a statement than a question. His eyes widened at the small group of strangers who now stood in the doorway to his room, and then he looked back at you, "what are you doing here?" You grinned at him, "rescuing you, of course!"

After helping Harry to pack his trunk and temporarily shrinking Hedwig's cage to fit inside it, he dragged it downstairs and you all picked up your brooms from the house's hallway and walked outside into the driveway.