Chapter 42: The Department of Mysteries - Part II

"Where's Sirius?" Harry demanded as he stepped in front of you and Hermione, and a chorus of cruel laughter erupted from the hooded figures, one of them cackled wildly as she mocked Harry. The Death Eater who stood in front of the rest approached you slowly, "you know, you should really learn to tell the difference between dreams...and reality."

He waved his wand and his mask vanished, revealing the sneering face of Lucius Malfoy. You took a step closer to Harry and tightened your grip on your wand as you raised it, Lucius' eyes flickered to you in disdain and then he looked at Harry once again.

"Don't do anything, not yet," Harry said to the rest of the group as they, too, raised their wands.

The Death Eater beside Lucius cackled manically again, "do you hear him? Giving instructions to the other children as though he is thinking of fighting us!"

Lucius looked down at her, "oh, you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," you heard Neville take a sharp intake of breath as he stiffened in shock, "he has a great weakness for heroics. Now give me the prophecy, Potter."

Harry stepped back on your toes but not with enough pressure for it to hurt, you tried to pull your shoe from under his but he wouldn't budge, "what?" you asked him subtly, not looking away from the Death Eaters in front of you.

"If you do anything to us, I'll break it" Harry told Lucius, and as the man walked slowly forward as Bellatrix followed, "oh he knows how to play!" she mocked, "itty, bitty, baby Potter."

Harry raised his wand and pointed it at her and she did the same. Lucius held up his hands, "let's all calm down now, shall we? Potter, hand over the prophecy."

Harry stepped on your foot again, you glanced at him and he tilted his head slightly so you could see his face, "the shelves, my signal," he murmured without moving his lips, and then he looked at Lucius, "the prophecy?" He asked, clearly trying to stall and distract the man.

You gave Harry a minute nod to show you understood and he stepped off your foot and continued stalling. You looked at Hermione and her frightened eyes flickered to yours, "shelves," you whispered and she nodded, then tugged on Ron's sleeve and passed on the message. Then you heard her whisper very subtly to Ginny, who nodded once and then told Luna and Neville while Harry kept Lucius distracted.

In that moment you were so terrified, and you wanted nothing more than to have Fred next to you with his comforting presence, but you were also beyond grateful that neither he nor George weren't in this dangerous situation with you.

You tuned into the conversation just in time to hear Bellatrix screaming at Harry for using Voldemort's name, calling him a 'filthy half-blood' and Harry taunted her, "did you know he's a half-blood too? Voldemort? Yeah, his mother was a witch but his dad was a Muggle - or has he been telling you lot he's a Pureblood?"

Bellatrix screamed in rage and then Harry turned to you, "NOW!" and the seven of you pointed your wands at the surrounding shelves, "Reducto!"

The contents of the towering shelves instantly shattered and they buckled as a result of the impact. You all fled and you felt Ron grab your arm just as a shelf collapsed beside you and he pulled you out of the way just in time. You followed Luna and Ginny towards the door and blasted spells over your shoulder as a number of Death Eaters chased you. You assumed that Harry, Hermione and Neville were ahead of you as you burst through the door and into the entrance room, but there was no time to look around for them as you followed Ginny into the first door she opened, throwing yourselves through.

None of you could spare a second to lock the door behind you as your oppressors gained on you. You were immediately disorientated by the new chamber and a large solar system replica was the primary focus of the room; large planets floated around and you had to swerve and duck as you made your way across the room. Ginny and Luna ran along the other side of the large planets while you ran after Ron, and the sound of spells being blasted in your wake warned you of the dangerously close proximity of the Death Eaters. Ron stopped suddenly as a spell hit the floor where he was just about to step and you ran right into his back, but you steadied yourself just as Ron was hit by another one.