Chapter 28: The Detention

A/N: content warning for injury detail and Umbridge being nasty 

-----

After Transfiguration class you silently followed Professor McGonagall up to her office, which was on the first floor of one of the northern towers of the school. It was two flights of stairs up from the Transfiguration classroom and as you stepped into the small circular room, you could see the Quidditch training grounds directly below.

"Please sit, Miss Y/L/N," McGonagall said, gesturing to one of the two chairs in front of her wooden desk. She shuffled a few papers around and then removed her pointed witches hat and put it on a small table next to her, before taking a seat behind the desk.

You silently obeyed and sat down, resting your bag and scarf on the chair next to you.

"Tea?" she asked you pleasantly and you nodded politely, not really sure if it was an actual question or not. You cleared your throat, "um, Professor, if this is about what what happened in Defence Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Umbridge then-"

"It's not about that," she said simply as she pointed her wand at the teapot and poured it into two porcelain teacups.

"Oh you didn't hear? I thought everyone knew by now. And being my Head of House I thought you were going to punish me," you looked down at your hands awkwardly.

"I do know what happened, Miss Y/L/N, but it is not something I would choose to punish you for, quite frankly," she said and you were surprised to see an almost pleased look on her face.

She sent a tray of milk and sugar towards you through the air, and you finished making your tea in a silence that was surprisingly not awkward.

"So the reason I asked to meet with you, Miss Y/L/N, is to discuss your future plans, and as your Head of House it is my responsibility to advise and inform you on what possible options you are considering," she looked at you meaningfully and with a flick of her wand, a roll of parchment appeared on her desk.

"So, you wanted to meet me for career-guidance purposes, and not to scold me," you ventured, hoping she wouldn't think you were being rude. But the witch simply took a sip of her tea and replied, "precisely," as she read over your file.

"Last August, all sixth-years were asked to apply for the NEWT-level classes that they wished to take for their sixth and seventh years, if they were eligible. After receiving nine OWLs you decided to take five NEWT-level subjects, correct?" she looked at you over her spectacles and you nodded in confirmation.

"I see you are currently enrolled in NEWT-level Charms, Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, and Defence Against the Dark Arts. These are fortunately a very valuable selection of choices, Miss Y/L/N, however my main concern was that upon returning this form at the beginning of your sixth year, you left the planned career section blank. And while it was not necessary to fill it in at that point of the year, there were opportunities throughout your sixth year to meet and discuss your future plans, but you did not avail of this service."

You sighed and mentally kicked yourself for leaving it blank, you could have at least put down some waffled career goals to avoid a situation like this.

"Miss Y/L/N?" McGonagall asked, pulling you out of your train of thought.

You gathered yourself, "yes, I did leave it blank. I'm not really sure about what I want to do after school, and to be honest I haven't really wanted to think about it."

She studied you and put down your parchment file, folding her hands on her desk, "and why is that?"

You were silent for a moment as you considered what to say, on one hand you could lie but she would definitely right through you and that would be completely unhelpful, so you decided to tell her the truth. "I haven't really wanted to consider future plans, because with everything going on around us I don't know where I'm going to be in one or two years time, let alone five or ten years. Even if there was something I knew I really wanted to do, I don't know if I'd live long enough to do it."