Chapter 68: The Battle of Hogwarts Part I

A/N: I can't believe we're here already...also, sorry about this one :/

-----

Once everyone had gathered in the Great Hall, McGonagall and the rest of the professors stood at the podium, where she announced that students were to be evacuated with the help of the Prefects. Someone asked if they could stay and fight, and McGonagall said that only students of age could stay, and everyone else had to leave the castle grounds.

"We have already placed protection around the castle," she explained, "but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. The rest of the teachers and other adults who have come to our aid," she looked over to where you stood with the Weasleys and the Order, "will help with the enchantments. The rest of you must move quickly and calmly to the evacuation points-"

Her next words were drowned out by another voice that echoed through the hall, as if it were coming from the very walls of the hall. Gasps of horror came from all directions as he spoke, and you grabbed onto Fred's arm in fright.

"I know that you are preparing to fight," Voldemort's voice said, and terrified screams sounded throughout the hall.

"Some of you may even think that to fight is wise. But your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I do not want to spill magical blood," his voice said, piercing through your mind like a cold, icy wind.

"Give me Harry Potter, and none will be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you shall be rewarded. You have until midnight."

You all stared in shock as the voice disappeared, and then you turned to Harry who was pale with shock.

"What are you waiting for!? Someone grab him!" Pansy Parkinson yelled, pointing a finger at Harry from next to Crabbe and Goyle. You all reacted instantly, standing in front of Harry in a protective circle, facing off against the rogue Slytherins, who you recognised as Draco's close friends. They were on their own in their opposition, and even members of their own house eyed them with disgust.

"That is quite enough, Miss Parkinson," McGonagall said sharply, "you will leave the Hall first with Mr Filch, and the rest of your House will follow." One by one, the four Houses were escorted out of the Great Hall, where all of the younger students were soon evacuated out of the ground and to safety.

Kingsley Shacklebolt then approached the podium and nodded respectfully to McGonagall who stepped aside. He addressed the remaining people in the Hall, which consisted of you and your friends, the Weasleys, the Order, some professors and other witches and wizards of age who were either still students, or who had already graduated but had returned to fight. You recognised some of Cedric's friends, some of Bea's friends, and Oliver Wood who stood alongside other former school Quidditch players with their brooms, prepared to fight from the skies.

"We've only got an hour until midnight so we need to act fast," Kingsley's voice boomed across the Hall, "A battle plan has been agreed between the teachers of Hogwarts and the Order of the Phoenix. Professors Flitwick, Sprout and McGonagall will each take groups of fighters up to the highest Towers - Ravenclaw, Astronomy and Gryffindor Towers, where they'll have valuable vantage points of the grounds below." The named teachers stood aside and were joined by a number of other witches and wizards, both students and not, including Neville, Luna, Charlie, Seamus and Dean.

Kingsley continued his orders, "meanwhile Remus, Arthur and I will take groups across the school and grounds. We'll also need somebody to organise defence of the entrances of the passageways into the school."

"Sounds like a job for us," Fred called and he gestured to your small group, including you, George, Lee, Jack and Hannah Abbott, Bea, and Percy. Kingsley nodded his approval and then everyone gathered in their groups to get organised.