Chapter 37: The Birthday

The week after Trelawney's dismissal and the subsequent employment of Firenze, a Centaur, in her place as the Divination teacher, you walked down the corridor with a purpose. Making sure the twins were nowhere in sight, you marched up to Lee and grabbed him by the arm, pulling him to an empty corridor, "Lee, I need your help."

"Okay, okay! Just don't kidnap me from the corridor next time, you bloody lunatic," he whined but then he looked around, puzzled, "wait, no twins?"

You shook your head, and smiled mischievously, "no twins."

He folded his arms and smirked at you, "colour me intrigued, what are you up to?"

You looked over your shoulder to make sure no one was listening, "so obviously the mood has been really dull these past couple of weeks, and I had an idea. The twins are turning eighteen next week, so why don't we throw a party?"

Lee's face split into a huge grin and he whooped and jumped on the spot, "hell yes! Absolutely fantastic, I'm so in."

You shushed him loudly but you grinned at his excitement, "we need to keep this between us for the moment, I want to properly surprise them. And you know they're usually the ones who are full of surprises, so I really want to pull this off."

You and Lee eagerly planned the party, agreeing to get Angelina and Alicia involved, who were happy to help when you promised it wouldn't interfere with Quidditch training. Lee assured you he'd get out his old reliable hip flask, and at this point you were convinced he was nicking whiskey from the kitchens. You and the girls made magical decorations in your dorm room in the evenings, and after a few short days, almost everything was organised.

You got Hermione and Ginny onboard too, and on the morning of the 1st of April, the three of you went to a bakery in Hogsmeade to get a birthday cake and some sweets from Honeydukes. You left Ron and Harry out of the loop initially because you were convinced they wouldn't be able to keep it a secret, and Ron was prone to blabbing under pressure.

While you were in Hogsmeade, you picked up the gifts you'd ordered weeks beforehand, and you used the Shrinking Charm on them and put them in your enchanted bag so they wouldn't be seen by the twins.

Ginny was beyond excited since she'd been too young to go to the previous parties hosted in the common room, and the Prefects had always been insistent that anyone in third year and below were to obey curfew and were banned from going near the punch bowls. You and the girls had made the trip to Hogsmeade bright and early that morning to avoid the crowds and to get your errands done, and you'd given Lyra a note to deliver to the twins, telling them to meet you at the Three Broomsticks at eleven o'clock that morning.

It was almost eleven and you walked in the direction of the Three Broomsticks with the two girls, who were heading back to the castle with the cake and sweets so the twins wouldn't spot them prematurely.

"And they don't suspect a thing?" Hermione asked you, looking visibly impressed.

You grinned at her, "no, not a thing. I'm honestly surprised I lasted a whole week without telling them."

"They're here! I see them!" Ginny hissed and the two ducked behind the wall of the Three Broomsticks while you went to intercept the twins.

They beamed at you as you approached them, and you flung your arms around them, "happy birthday!!" They hugged you tightly and then they looked around, puzzled.

"Was that Ginny and Hermione we saw?" George asked and you wracked your brain for a believable story.

"Um, yeah it was. We came in to do some browsing," you said sweetly.