Chapter 46: The Goodbye

The following week passed by in a blur of work, nights in with Fred, visiting your parents on your days off, and having dinner or lunch with the twins and Lee which was like being at Hogwarts again. The morning after your first time sleeping with Fred, George saw your blissed out expressions and had immediately held up his hands, "I don't want to know, but thank you for being considerate enough to charm the room so I didn't hear anything that would've given me nightmares for weeks." You'd just laughed and slapped his chest halfheartedly while Fred smacked him across the back of the head, which turned into a minor playful scuffle between the two as you made breakfast.

One morning at the end of June, you were in work early as you volunteered to open the shop so the twins could sleep in a little longer. Before it was time to open the shop, the owl arrived with the day's post, which included a few letters addressed to each of you and a postcard from Angelina and Alicia who were currently exploring Barcelona. What caught your attention as you put the Bronze Knut in the owl's pouch was the breaking news headline on the front of the Daily Prophet. Just an hour earlier that morning, Death Eaters had attacked London and conjured the Dark Mark above the Thames, and what almost stopped your heart was the reports of them collapsing the Millenium Bridge, which was near where your parents worked in the city.

You dropped the newspaper onto the counter and ran back up to the flat and into the bedroom, Fred was still asleep so you ran to his side and shook him lightly.

"Fred!" he cracked an eye open and then he immediately sat up upon seeing your panicked expression, "what is it? What's happened?"

"Death Eaters attacked London, near where Mum and Dad work, I have to go and make sure they're okay," you tell him urgently and he immediately jumped out of bed and changed out of his pyjamas and into a shirt and jeans, "I'm coming with you, grab your things and I'll tell George." You nodded as you pulled on a cardigan over your pinafore and grabbed your bag and threw the strap over your head and across your body.

"Bloody hell," George said in the kitchen as Fred finished explaining what was happening, he was clearly just after jumping out of bed and he was still in his pyjamas as he shared a grave look with his twin. They both looked at you as you ran into the room and a beat of silence passed between you, and then George spoke to you and Fred, "be safe, please. Both of you" You gave him a quick hug and Fred squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, and then you both ran from the flat and took the stairs directly down to the street.

Fred locked the front door behind you as you looked around at the deserted streets, it was still only eight-thirty in the morning, and the attack on London had happened an hour beforehand when a lot of people would be commuting to work, including your parents. You tried to push your panicked thoughts of them being hurt, or worse, out of your mind as you walked.

You quickly made your way to the Leaky Cauldron and followed a couple of other anxious witches and wizards who were also making their way to London. As soon as you stepped out into Charing Cross Road in London city you grabbed Fred's hand and ran to the nearest phone booth.

"What are you doing?" he asked as you rummaged through your enchanted bag.

"I'm going to ring my parents' house, if I could just find- damn it," you scowled in frustration and took out your wand, careful to keep it hidden from passing Muggles and Fred shielded you from view as you pointed it at your bag.

"Accio purse!" you whispered and your small coin purse flew out and you caught it. You rummaged through it and pulled out Muggle money, counting how much you'd need to ring your parents.

Fred looked at you in confusion and you explained, "I always carry a bit of Muggle money with me, just in case." You put the coins in the slot and punched in the numbers, then waited anxiously for the call to connect.