Chapter 44: The Joke Shop

"No bloody way!" you gasped as you took in the sight before you. You were on the corner of a row of buildings in Diagon Alley and in front of you was a large purple painted brick building. The large wooden window frames jutting out of the walls were a bright orange colour, making it stand out from the more dull colours of the rest of the street's buildings. You laughed in delight at the large mechanical Weasley twin above the door that grinned and lifted his top hat at regular intervals to reveal a rabbit, just like a Muggle magician.

"It's supposed to be me," they both told you at the same time and you chuckled as you scanned your eyes along the golden 'Weasley Wizard Wheezes' sign written above the door and then your gaze landed on the orange and purple banners that hung from above the windows. You stared in shock, "you used my logo?" recognising the logo you'd designed for their birthday presents, Fred's briefcase and George's journal. They grinned at you fondly and George nodded while Fred swung an arm over your shoulder.

"Of course we did, love. You've done nothing but support us this whole time, so we wanted the place to have a bit of you as well," Fred told you and you swallowed the lump in your throat and gripped his hand as it hung over your shoulder.

"What do you think then, Y/N?" George asked and you just looked between them and the shop in complete awe. "It's incredible guys, I love it," you told them and you felt yourself getting emotional as you saw the manifestation of your best friends' dream right in front of you.

"I am so so proud of you both," you told them sincerely and your eyes filled with happy tears when they both pulled you into a hug.

"Let's go inside, then, shall we?" George said, gesturing to the orange door of the shop and you eagerly agreed.

There was a bright orange banner pasted across the door on the left that said, 'COMING SOON,' while the one on the right had a 'closed' sign hanging in the glass pane. They unlocked the doors and pushed one open, leading you inside and your jaw dropped as you looked around.

"We're not done in here yet, so it's nothing special at the moment," Fred said as you stared in awe. There were endless towering shelves lining every wall and right up the centre was a large red spiraling staircase that went up two storeys and you gaped as you looked up at it.

"Three whole floors! This is amazing," you said in astonishment. At the bottom of the stairs there was a dark blue wrap-around counter with a till and it was covered with scraps of parchment with endless lists and numbers, and the room was filled with piles of boxes. The boxes had the large 'W' logo on each one, and the piles of boxes were stacked in front of the empty shelves all the way to the door at the back which captured your attention.

"What's back there?" you asked and George led the way towards the bright red door that said 'Staff Only' on it. A short few steps through a small corridor behind the door brought you to another room with more shelves along the walls and a small desk and chair on one side, and two large filing cabinets next to the desk.

"Is this the office?" you asked them and they nodded proudly. 

"Very professional, isn't it?" George asked and you chuckled, as you continued to explore the small room. You stopped in front of a small set of stairs in the corner where yet another door stood at the top, but before you could form the question, you saw them sharing a brief glance before giving you a mysterious look.

"What? What is it?" you asked as you looked between them.

"Are you ready for the best part, love?" Fred asked as he gestured towards the stairs. You raised your eyebrows at him in confusion and he took your hand and led you up the stairs to a small landing where yet another door stood. You'd definitely need some signposts if you were to remember your way around with all these doors and stairs.