Chapter 27: The Ministry at Hogwarts

A/N: Content warning - Umbridge :/

-----

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore's voice boomed across the Great Hall as you all finished the last of your desserts from the start of term feast in September.

"Now we have two changes in staffing this year, we are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." A few mutters of confusion filled the air and you were both disappointed and perplexed by this news, as Hagrid was easily one of your favourite professors despite you no longer taking Care of Magical Creatures as a class anymore.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge." He gestured to a peculiar looking woman in a pink skirt suit and matching pink hat sitting next to Snape at the professors' table, "and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck." An awkward silence hung in the air, and you noticed that even the other professors were eyeing their new colleague warily.

Dumbledore continued with his announcements, "now as usual, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

A small high pitched cough interrupted him, making everyone, including Dumbledore and the other professors, look over in the direction of the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. The woman stood up from the table with a sickly sweet smile on her face and made her way over to Dumbledore's podium.

"She was at my hearing," you heard Harry whispering to Hermione, "she works for Fudge."

You watched the pink-clad witch as she addressed the hall, "thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me."

You glanced around and as expected, no one was smiling, in fact most people were looking at her with pure distaste as she spoke, having just interrupted Dumbledore.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," she said to you all.

"That's likely," the twins said and you stifled a laugh behind the sleeve of your robes as Umbridge's eyes seemed to drift in the direction of your table.

She continued with her unwelcomed speech, "the Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school..." she glanced up at Dumbledore in an overly-polite nod of recognition, "progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged."

She walked along the stage and continued to address the student body, "let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

"That sounds like your To-Do-List for the year," you whispered sarcastically to the twins who snickered.

Umbridge walked back to her seat and Dumbledore began an applause which most people unenthusiastically took part in, you and your friends didn't bother joining in. "Thank you Professor Umbridge, that really was most illuminating," Dumbledore said politely though you could tell he was wary of the woman.

"Illuminating? What a load of waffle." Ron said to you all in disgust.

"But what's it mean?" Harry asked, and Hermione shared a worried look with you all, "it means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts."

---

You all sat in the common room after dinner and talked about the upcoming school year and the new professor. Everyone seemed to be in agreement that she was odd, but there was still hope that she might be a good DADA professor since she worked for the Ministry.