Chapter 6: The Inter-House Quidditch Cup

Your fifth year at Hogwarts was tainted by rumours of an escaped convict from Azkaban named Sirius Black, who was rumoured to have been sighted on a number of occasions around Hogsmeade and the Forbidden Forest. The rumours suddenly turned into panic on Halloween night when there was an attack on the Portrait of the Fat Lady outside the Gryffindor common room, and the portrait insisted that it was Sirius Black who was trying to break into the common room. This incident rattled everyone, especially those of you who lived in Gryffindor Tower, so you were beyond grateful for the distraction of Quidditch.

The first match of the season took place the week following the attack on the common room, and Oliver Wood's strict training schedule actually gave you some reprieve from the stress of the incident and gave you and your friends something else to focus on.

As you flew out on your brooms on the stormy November morning, you had to wipe the rain from your rain goggles as it poured from the clouds above, and once you could see ahead of you, you looked across at your opponents for the match, the Hufflepuff team.

"Hope you don't plan on winning today, Diggory," you said to your friend in jest, who laughed good-naturedly.

"Guess I'll just have to prove you wrong, Y/L/N," he answered back with a challenging grin.

You and Cedric had become closer after he'd bought you a replacement Butterbeer in third year when Veronica Spratt had stolen yours. And as well as you got along, you were both equally competitive when it came to Quidditch. But thankfully you were able to leave the competition behind on the pitch and were still good friends once the Quidditch uniforms were off.

The match went by in a blur, both figuratively and literally as the heavy rain obscured your vision despite the goggles, which made it extremely difficult to see the Quaffle. Once Gryffindor was winning by fifty points, Oliver called for a time-out so that everyone could recuperate and gather themselves after half an hour of flying in the harsh conditions. You squeezed water out of your hair and rubbed your cold and damp hands on your pants, and everyone else was trying to dry off a bit and regain feeling in their hands and feet.

Once back in the air, you felt slightly better despite the fact that it was still raining. You passed the Quaffle back and forth, avoiding collisions with the opposing Hufflepuff Chasers and ducking below any flying Bludgers. Harry and Cedric both soared up into the air in pursuit of the Snitch, but suddenly gasps filled the stadium as hundreds of dark shadowy figures appeared in the sky above the pitch, seemingly out of nowhere.

"What the hell are those!?" you shouted to Angelina and she shook her head, looking as frightened and shocked as you felt. The shadows immediately descended upon Harry in the sky who was still chasing after the Snitch, causing the boy to tumble from his broom, which flew out of sight at the impact of the attack. You gasped and covered your eyes as Harry's shape plummeted towards the ground at a shocking speed, unable to bear the sight, but you sighed in relief as you saw his speed slowing down with the aid of someone's magic.

"Cedric Diggory has just caught the Snitch," Lee announced over the speakers, "and despite our unexpected guests, Hufflepuff wins!"

You looked down and saw that Cedric had indeed caught the Snitch while Harry had been accosted by the shadow creatures, but he was now dismounting his broom and sprinting over to Harry, who was being lowered to the ground by Dumbledore who pointed his wand at the boy from the stands. White light filled the air as you flew to the ground and dismounted and the dark shadows disappeared while you ran to where Harry was now laying on the wet ground.

You and Cedric both made it to Harry at the same time, but the boy was unconscious. You were relieved to see that he was still breathing at least and you pulled your goggles up onto your head and looked at Cedric, who looked shocked despite having just won the match.