Chapter 31: Dumbledore's Army

The large group of students gathered in the Room of Requirement, and there was an atmosphere of excitement filling the room. Everyone stood around mingling and then Harry cleared his throat to get everyone's attention, "um, hi, everyone. Thanks for coming. So first thing's first, we have a place to practice where we won't be discovered, but we need a name, something we can use as a code when organising our next meetings. Any ideas?"

Everyone muttered between themselves and then Cho spoke up, "what about the Defence Association? We could call it the D.A. for short?" There were murmurs of agreement and then Ginny piped up, "we could still call it the D.A., but what if it stood for Dumbledore's Army?" Cho smiled at Ginny and nodded in agreement and Harry grinned, "Dumbledore's Army it is."

Then he walked closer to the group and asked you all to line up, "okay so today, we're going to practice the Disarming Charm and-"

"Oh, please," Zacharius Smith scoffed, and you saw Fred rolling his eyes up to the heavens as the boy spoke, "I don't think Expelliarmus is exactly going to help us against You-Know-Who, do you?" He crossed his arms and stared defiantly at Harry.

Harry stopped in front of the boy, "I've used it against him," he said with a neutral tone, "it saved my life last June." He walked away and the Hufflepuff boy flushed with embarrassment and looked down.

Harry had you all line up and attempt to disarm the mechanical dummy that had the appearance of a Death Eater, with its own fake wand and a target painted on its middle. Neville was up first and he pointed his wand at the dummy, and glanced nervously at Harry who nodded encouragingly.

Neville swallowed and raised his wand, "Expelliarmus!" and his own wand went flying out of his hand, and you all had to duck as it flew behind him and hit the back wall. Fred and George snickered behind you and you elbowed them both and scowled at them, "don't be dickheads."

Neville sighed in defeat, "I'm hopeless," but Harry just gave him further instructions, "you're just flourishing your wand too much. Try it like this," he pointed his own wand at the dummy, "Expelliarmus!" and the wand immediately flew from the grip of the mechanical Death Eater.

You each took turns to disarm the mechanical dummy, and when you were up you looked at the Death Eater's shape in front of you, thinking of the real one you faced at the Quidditch World Cup. You narrowed your eyes and raised your wand, "Expelliarmus!" The fake wand flew out of the dummy's hand and hit the wall and its arm snapped backwards as well.

"Very good, Y/N," Harry said approvingly and you heard George whispering behind you, "Godric help you if you get on her bad side, Freddie." You smirked as you walked to the back of the line and you all took a number of turns to disarm the dummy, before moving on to disarming each other.

"Do your worst, love," Fred said cockily as he stood across from you, and George stood beside you facing off against Lee. You smiled at his challenge and before he could even open his mouth to say the words you immediately disarmed him, "Expelliarmus!" and his wand soared through the air and hit the wall behind him. He blinked in astonishment and looked down at his now-empty hand and then looked up at you and you grinned mischievously at him.

At the end of the meeting, Hermione called you all to attention, "we came to the conclusion that arranging meetings by word-of-mouth just isn't safe, especially now that we know Umbridge has eyes on us. So I had to improvise," she pulled out a coin purse from her bag on the floor and poured a handful of its contents into her hand.

"These are fake Galleons, and when Harry sets the next meeting date, they will let you know," she handed out the coins and you looked at the round golden coin in your palm. Hermione continued her explanation, "you see the numerals around the edge of the coins? On real Galleons that's just a serial number referring to the goblin who cast the coin. On these fake coins, though, the numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting."