Chapter 12: The Unforgivable Curses

You were gathered in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, anxiously awaiting the arrival of your new teacher. The Slytherin students occupied the back rows of the class so you and Fred were sitting at the front with George and Lee at the desk behind you. Bea and her friends from Ravenclaw sat across the aisle from you, and you all talked about what you might be studying this year.

You heard loud and obnoxious talking from the back of the class and as you looked, you made eye contact with Veronica and she glared at you. She looked as if she was about to open her mouth to say something to you, but the class immediately grew silent as Professor Moody marched loudly into the classroom and up to the front of the room.

He paused momentarily, his strange blue eye spinning around the classroom to look at everyone, then he turned to the chalkboard and began writing his name roughly across it. "Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end! Any questions?" The class remained silent, so he continued.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir," you said, when you realised no one else was going to answer.

Moody turned to you, "and they are so named?"

You continued, your voice shaking slightly, "because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will..."

"Earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct," Moody finished your sentence. "The Ministry says you are too young to see what these curses do. I SAY DIFFERENT!" the class jumped in surprise at his sudden raised voice.

"You need to know what you're up against. You need to be prepared..." He turned back to the chalkboard again. "You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Miss Spratt!"

Veronica turned to her friends in dismay, "no way, the old codger can see out of the back of his head!"

"And hear across classrooms!" Moody shouted as he threw the piece of chalk he was holding across the room in her direction, you looked back and saw that she had the sense to look genuinely scared of the teacher. Moody walked around his desk and looked out at you all, "so, what curse shall we see first? Clarke!"

"Yes?" Bea squeaked. "Stand!" he demanded, which she did, giving you a brief wide-eyed look. She cleared her throat, "well... My dad did tell me about one. The Imperius Curse?"

"Oh, yes, John Clarke... Yeah your dad would know all about that one. Gave the Ministry a lot of trouble at one time. Perhaps this will show you why," he gathered a spider from a jar on his desk. "Engorgio!" The spider tripled in size on his palm, he pointed his wand at it again, "Imperio!"

He sent the spider hopping around the room, controlling its every move like a puppeteer. Some students laughed while some shrieked when it landed on their heads or faces. "Don't worry, she's completely harmless! If she bites... she's lethal!" He made the spider walk up Veronica's arm and she squirmed uncomfortably, clearly trying not to scream.

"Talented, isn't she?" Moody continued, "What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window?" He sent the spider towards the closed window where it slammed into the glass and the laughter of the class immediately stopped. "Drown herself?" he directed the spider to hang over a pail of water, you looked up at Fred and even he looked bothered about what was happening in the class. "Scores of wizards and witches claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the effects of the Imperius Curse. But here's the rub... how do we sort out the liars?" Moody asked.