Chapter 15: The First Task

"Dragons!" Harry hissed as he slammed his bag down on the table where you sat eating lunch and proofreading your Transfiguration essay in the Great Hall. You jumped, almost spilling your mug of tea all over yourself, "Merlin, Harry! You scared me."

"Sorry sorry, it's just...Ron's not talking to me," he told you as he sat down opposite you, "and I feel bad for dragging Hermione into this stuff when she's already stressed about not taking sides...I didn't know who else to turn to, really."

He looked up at you sheepishly, and you smiled comfortingly at him, patting his hand gently. You rolled up your parchment and put it in your bag, "okay, tell me everything." 

So he did, he told you about his trip to the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid, where he saw the four terrifying dragons. He mentioned seeing Charlie Weasley who was working as a dragon keeper, and your eyes grew wide when he explained that each Champion would be assigned a dragon for the First Task.

You were silent as he finished telling you, and then an idea struck you. "Harry, when is your next class?" He told you he was done for the day, and you had two free periods before your last class of the day, so you dragged him to the library. You quickly scanned the tables until you found the witch you were looking for. Bea was sitting at a desk by a window and you slid into the seat next to her. She looked up in surprise when she saw you, and her eyes widened even more when she saw Harry standing behind you.

"Bea, you're the best Care of Magical Creatures student I know, I need you to give me a list of all the best books on Dragons," you told her quickly and quietly, keeping an eye out for Madam Pince. She studied you for a moment and then nodded eagerly, she pulled out a scrap of parchment and wrote down numerous titles.

"I hope these help!" she said earnestly, sliding the list across the desk to you. You thanked her with a brief hug and Harry promised her he'd somehow repay the favour but she waved him off and turned back to her books.

Once you found the books Bea had recommended, you and Harry carried them over to a private desk between two shelves and sat down. You spent the next hour flipping through the books and scanning through the numerous breeds of dragon until Harry managed to point out the four he had seen. And from there, you researched their potential weaknesses and you came up with a plan, while you observed the physical strengths of each of the Champions.

"Krum is obviously strong, Cedric has very quick reflexes, and Fleur is small and apparently very agile and you're..." you trailed off, looking at him apologetically.

He rolled his eyes at you, "Blimey, Y/N! Tell me what you really think! This is getting us nowhere, and I still have no idea what I'm going to do" he hissed angrily, slamming a book shut on the desk.

You sighed, pushing your book away from you slightly before turning to face Harry fully. "Harry, you know you're like a brother to me, and I'd never steer you wrong. But for the love of Merlin's grubby Beard, would you take your head out of your arse for one second and stop being so bloody stubborn?"

He just gaped at you, and then he nodded, "yeah you're right, sorry." Then he smiled at you slightly, "you're like a sister to me too Y/N, and I really do appreciate your help. And if you have a spare minute, I've a Potions essay that needs writing so if you really care that much-"

"Shut your face, Harry," you leaned forward and ruffled his hair fondly, "don't exploit my affection for you or I'll intentionally make sure you're wearing something highly flammable for the First Task."

He laughed and rolled his eyes at you as he swiped your hands away from his hair, and you turned back into your desk. "Okay, so," you shuffled around your notes, which had listed the traits of each dragon, and you privately hoped that he wouldn't get the Hungarian Horntail, "what do you think is your biggest strength?"