Chapter 65: Gringotts

A/N: This is probably one of the longest chapters I've written for this story, enjoy!

-----

You found yourselves standing at the entrance to Knockturn Alley, just next to Gringotts. You were grateful for how dark it was in the shelter of the alleyway as a few other witches and wizards walked about the streets on their early-morning business.

"Madam Lestrange," one of the wizards greeted Hermione with a polite bow of his head and she froze and then cleared her throat. "Good morning!" She replied and you grimaced, ducking back into the alcove of the alleyway where the rest of your group stood.

The dark wizard eyed her suspiciously but fortunately walked away and Hermione turned to you all, wincing. Griphook stormed over to her and hissed in disgust, "good morning? Good morning? You're Bellatrix Lestrange, not some dewy-eyed schoolgirl-"

"Oi, watch it," you said to him coolly and he narrowed his black eyes at you but didn't stop berating Hermione. "If she gives us away, we might as well use that sword to slit our own throats. Understand?" the goblin said snarkily, pointing a sharp-nailed finger at your bag where the sword was hidden.

Hermione sighed wearily, "no, he's right. I was being stupid."

Then Harry straightened up, clearly wanting to get a move on, "okay. Let's do this." He bent down to allow Griphook to climb onto his back and you pointed your wand at your bag, "Accio Invisibility Cloak."

Harry had stored the cloak in your bag ahead of today's journey, and you linked one arm through Harry's and held your wand in the other hand, while Fred covered you both with the cloak.

You kept your wand out, ready to defend the three of you under the cloak since Harry was holding onto Griphook, and you couldn't trust the goblin to help you out. You followed Hermione and the Weasleys into Gringotts, their disguises as Death Eaters thankfully not drawing attention from the guards as you all walked through the front doors behind Hermione, who was trying very hard to maintain the act of Bellatrix.

However, once you all walked down the long hallway lined with tall wooden desks, you noticed the goblins raising their heads and looking at your friends, their dark eyes looking at them far too carefully. Hermione kept her chin tilted high, feigning confidence, while Fred, George and Ron kept their heads down, trying not to draw attention to their disguises while they walked behind her.

You pulled Harry out of the way as two wizards almost walked directly through you, your heart pounding at how close they'd gotten to finding you out, but then you continued up to the main desk at the end of the hall. Hermione, as Bellatrix, cleared her throat in an attempt to catch the attention of the goblin who was writing quickly across a ledger, but he didn't look up.

"I wish to enter my vault," she said as bluntly as possible, and he still didn't look up, even when replying to her, "identification?"

Once again, your heart began to beat erratically and the others shifted uneasily, but Hermione hid her nerves well, "I hardly think that will be necessary."

At her words, the goblin glanced up and then did a double take, "Madam Lestrange!" He stared at her for a moment and then walked away from the desk, Hermione stared at the now-empty desk, "I don't like to be kept waiting!"

"They know," Harry whispered breathily to Ron who tilted his head ever so slightly in your direction to listen to him, "they know she's an imposter." You glanced around and Fred and George subtly did the same, and sure enough, the goblins and guards alike were all watching your group carefully.

"They've been warned," Harry whispered again to Ron and you nudged him under the cloak as a guard began to approach them from the entrance.

"Harry," Ron whispered while barely moving his mouth, "what do we do, Harry?"