Chapter 32: The Serpent's Song

The next morning, you stood with your team in the Gryffindor changing rooms, while Angelina gathered everyone around to give her first formal speech as Quidditch Captain. You hovered next to Ron who was pale with anxiety, which didn't surprise you considering it was his first proper match as Gryffindor's new Keeper.

"Alright, Ron?" you whispered as the team moved to stand around Angelina, and he nodded stiffly, "I just don't want to cock up and ruin it for everyone," he admitted.

You rested your hand on his shoulder reassuringly, "Ron, you won't. Just do what you've been doing in training, you'll smash it."

He gave you a tight smile, but the nerves were still clearly written on his face, "thanks, Y/N, appreciate it."

"Alright everyone," Angelina said as she gathered your attention, "today is a big day. Not only is it the first match of the season, but it's the first Quidditch match to take place in over a year. All eyes will be on us today, and if you can't already hear, the stands are packed." She left a moment of silence for you all to hear the loud excited chatter and chanting from the crowds outside.

"I know I've been pushing you all hard since we started back and things haven't been easy since the Slytherins had the pitch booked most mornings, but it's my responsibility as your Captain to make sure we play to the best of our abilities, and we can leave no room for error," you felt Ron shuffle nervously beside you as Angelina spoke, "but I believe we have a real shot of winning the Inter-house Cup this year, but it all starts with the work we put in today."

Angelina looked at each of you and then straightened up, "so let's go out there and show them what we're made of!" You all clapped for Angelina and patted each other on the backs in encouragement.

"See you on the other side, love," Fred grinned down at you and he pecked you on the lips before picking up his broom and Beaters' bat, and you all mounted your brooms and flew out into the pitch where the roaring crowd awaited you.

"Lets kick some Slytherin ass!" George grinned at you as he flew past you and Ron, and you turned to the younger boy, "good luck Ron, you've got this." He swallowed nervously and then nodded in thanks as you all got into positions above the pitch, and you turned back to your opponents, noting with disgust that Crabbe and Goyle from fifth year were Slytherin's newest Beaters.

The Quaffle was thrown into play and the match got off to a quick start as you immediately snatched it from the air and soared upwards. You felt the Slytherin Chasers closing in on you so you looked for an opening to pass, and then you sent it to Alicia who swiftly caught it and dove out of the way of the other players.

You sped towards the hoops parallel to Alicia and she passed it to you again, you turned to Angelina and you immediately saw that she was about to be knocked out of the air by the other Chaser, "Ange, on your left!" She turned and swerved, just barely missing the contact and you passed the Quaffle to her just in time for her to reach the hoop, but it was saved by the Slytherin Keeper.

The Slytherin Chasers scored a goal much to Ron's dismay, and then you heard chanting beginning to echo from the Slytherin stands as he missed. As you sped around the pitch, the chanting got louder and you soon realised that it wasn't chanting, it was singing.

"Weasley cannot save a thing,

He cannot block a single ring,

That's why Slytherins all sing:

Weasley is our King."

You groaned as you heard the words, and you could only hope that Ron hadn't noticed, but of course he had, and he stared wide-eyed at the jeering spectators. Fred and George looked furious as they beat the Bludgers around in the air, and the Slytherin team were laughing menacingly as they, too, picked up on the singing from their supporters.