Chapter 10: The Dark Mark

You were all on an adrenaline high later on back in the tent. The twins were attempting to demonstrate Irish dancing around the common area, while trying to keep in time with loud music that could still be heard from outside. The rest of you lounged on the chairs and watched, laughing and clapping along. Fred and George were ecstatic, as they made a bet with Ludo Bagman that Viktor Krum would catch the Snitch, but Ireland would still win, and that was exactly how it played out, meaning the twins were about to gain a lot of money in winnings.

"There's no one like Krum!" Ron announced as he stood up on a chair, Harry and the twins began jeering and imitating him, "he's more than an athlete-" he continued as the twins circled him, Fred jumping up and covering him in a flag as his younger brother spoke, "he's an artist!"

"I think you're in love, Ron!" Ginny said cheerfully as she walked past him and sat down beside you and Hermione who were watching the scene unfold and laughing hysterically.

"Shut up, you," Ron said, scowling at her.

"Viktor, I love you!" Fred burst into song.

"Viktor, I do!" George continued singing.

"Whenever we're apart, my heart beats only for you!" You all joined in with uncontrollable glee, watching George skipping around as he hit Ron with a cushion from one of the chairs. You noticed Fred pausing to look out of the tent and you stood up to join him, hearing loud commotion outside and he said to the rest of you, "looks like the Irish are getting their pride on."

Immediately Mr Weasley ran back into the tent, his face drawn with worry. Bill and Charlie were with him and they wore similar concerned expressions, you hadn't even noticed them leaving your celebrations. "Stop! Stop it!" Arthur demanded, breaking up the pillow fight that had ensued between George and Ron, "it's not the Irish."

Bill ran over to Ginny, ushering her to the entrance of the tent, as Charlie said, "we've got to get out of here, now!" You quickly grabbed your wand from your bag on the chair, tucking it into your belt, and then you felt Fred reach for you as George ran up to join you both.

Arthur and Bill herded you all outside and you were immediately hit with the smell of smoke and screams and shouts filled your ears as you took in the widespread panic around you. Tents were on fire and people were running in all directions, and you could see some people being thrown to the ground by the magic of unseen forces.

"Back to the Portkey, everybody and stick together!" Mr Weasley instructed forcefully, "Fred, George, Ginny is your responsibility! Bill, Charlie and I are going to assist the Minister." And then they ran in the opposite direction to where he had directed the rest of you to go.

Fred's hand was at your back as he pushed you forward, "come on Y/N, let's go!" You ran with him, closely behind George who was pulling Ginny along beside him by the hand. You slowed your speed then, suddenly aware that Harry, Ron and Hermione weren't behind you, but you convinced yourself that they could look after themselves and started to run again.

"Y/N!?" Fred yelled from ahead of you as the crowd surged between you, separating you from him and the others.

"Fred, I'm here! I'm-" you felt yourself hit the ground heavily as you landed face first onto the singed grass. Your heart was pounding with the shock of falling and you rolled onto your side to see what had tripped you, you choked back a gasp upon seeing a pair of legs tangled with your feet, the person they belonged to lying unconscious. You heard a group of people screaming nearby and flashes of light were followed by loud bangs and explosions.

You climbed up and palmed the ground beside you and thankfully found your wand, which must have fallen from the waistband of your belt when you'd tripped. You knew you weren't allowed to perform magic outside of school for another year, but you figured these were necessary circumstances.