Chapter 41: The Department of Mysteries - Part I

You and the others found yourself in a forest grove filled with Thestrals that only you, Harry and Luna could see. Since only three of you could see the creatures, you had to pair up with each other. Hermione clung to your back and you both pulled Ginny up to sit behind her on the back of the huge creature, while Harry paired with Ron, and Luna and Neville climbed onto another Thestral. Luna looked completely serene and relaxed as if she did this everyday, while Neville gripped her waist tightly, his eyes wide with fright but also with a blush staining his cheeks at the close proximity to the blonde girl.

"This is mad..." Ron muttered faintly as he gripped Harry tightly.

Harry looked down at the creatures, unsure how to get them to take off or how to tell them where to go, he cleared his throat, "Ministry of Magic, visitors entrance, London. Uh...if you know where to go." He glanced at the rest of you awkwardly as nothing happened, but then the Thestrals moved beneath you and stretched out their enormous wings. They crouched and then rocketed so fast into the sky above that you nearly fell off but you clung tightly onto the creature's silky black mane, and Hermione screamed in fright as she buried her face in your back.

Ron screamed too, "THIS IS BLOODY MAD!"

You flew over the castle grounds and watched Hogwarts fade into the distance as you soared through the air on the winged creatures, travelling so fast that the wind whipped your face violently. London's gridlike city streets came into focus and as you neared the ground, you braced for the impact of landing, but the Thestrals landed so lightly on the ground that you didn't even realise that you'd reached the ground until they'd stopped moving.

You slid off the Thestral's back and patted its neck, grateful that it didn't kill you, and then you helped Ginny and Hermione down, and they both looked extremely relieved to be on solid ground again. Harry hopped down from his Thestral's back and turned around to help Ron, but he'd already flung himself off and had unceremoniously toppled to the ground in a heap.

"Never again, never," he said as he rolled onto his back on the concrete ground of the deserted street and looked up at the sky. Neville and Luna walked over to join you and Luna smiled at Neville and she patted his arm gently, and his eyes widened and he looked at her in astonishment as she walked away.

You followed Harry over to a heavily graffitied phonebox, and you were extremely baffled as he opened it, gesturing for you all to walk inside. You trusted Harry knew what he was doing from having been at the Ministry of Magic before with Mr Weasley for his hearing, so you stepped in and Hermione and Ginny followed you. You were squished up against the back of the box as everyone else squeezed in.

"Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!" Harry instructed and you did as he asked, and then a tinny voice spoke into the box, "welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."

"Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Y/N Y/L/N, Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood," Harry said quickly, "we're here to save someone, unless your Ministry can do it first!"

"Thank you," the voice responded, "visitors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your clothes." Seven badges fell into the chute where returned coins usually came out and Hermione scooped them up and handed them to Harry over Ginny's head. He quickly pocketed them and glared impatiently at the phonebox that had yet to do anything and he groaned irritably as the voice gave instructions about having your wands registered by security.

"Fine!" He said loudly, suddenly wincing in pain and his hand flew to his scar, "now can we move?"

The floor of the phonebox shuddered and then lowered like you were in a lift and you watched in awe as the large atrium appeared below you. As soon as you reached the floor, you all pushed out of the phonebox and into the wide open space of the Atrium, grateful to not be squished up together any more.