Chapter 48: The Promise

As the months went on, things at Hogwarts were becoming strange. Hermione had written to you, like she did every few days, to tell you that Katie Bell in the year below you had been cursed by a necklace after leaving the Three Broomsticks and that Harry suspected Draco Malfoy of hexing her.

Hermione also told you that Ron was doing well at Quidditch, and that she was happy to see his confidence growing as a Keeper. She told you that she was hoping to bring him to Professor Slughorn's Christmas party. You noticed that her letters had been mentioning Ron a lot recently and you really hoped that the two of them would finally get their heads straight and get together. But before you could even reply to Hermione's letter about Slughorn's party, another one arrived telling you that Ron now had a girlfriend. It was Lavender Brown, in their year, who you didn't know at all, which was a good thing by the sound of Hermione's possibly biased description of her.

Your heart broke for Hermione, and you told Fred and George the news over breakfast. "What a stupid git," George said in exasperation and Fred just sighed, "I don't think there was enough brain left in the Weasley family tree after you and me, George. Excluding Ginny, of course. So just Ron missed out, clearly."

You put your face in your hands and sighed loudly, wishing you could be there for your closest friend aside from the twins, to comfort her while she was going through this heartbreak like you had after the Yule Ball two years ago. Harry had written to you as well, and similarly to Hermione's letters, you noticed how he was mentioning Ginny a lot. You didn't tell the twins this though.

You wouldn't have to see the results of the multiple teenage heartbreaks until you spent Christmas at the Burrow. You and Ron helped Molly with Christmas dessert while the twins and Ginny messed around and pulled enchanted Christmas crackers. Tonks and Remus followed Harry and Mr Weasley into the room and Tonks caught your eye and discreetly nodded her head in their direction, gesturing for you to follow.

You looked over at Molly in question and she nodded knowingly and you excused yourself, walking past Fred, who was holding out another Christmas cracker to Ron, and you leaned up to kiss his cheek as you made your way into the living room. Tonks moved over on the seat she was on so you sat between her and Arthur, and the rest of them nodded in greeting, welcoming you to the conversation.

"Consider this part of your training," Tonks whispered and she winked at you as Remus started speaking.

"So you think that Voldemort has chosen Draco Malfoy for a mission?" he asked Harry, and you could tell that he was sceptical.

Harry shuffled anxiously on the couch opposite Remus' chair and nodded, "I know it sounds mad-"

"Has it occurred to you, Harry, that Snape was simply pretending to offer Draco help so he could find out what he was up to?"

"That's not what it sounded like!" Harry protested straight away.

Tonks cleared her throat, "perhaps Harry's right, Remus. I mean, to make an Unbreakable Vow, it's-"

"It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore's judgement!" Remus countered, "Dumbledore trusts Snape, therefore I do."

"Dumbledore can make mistakes, he said so himself!" Harry said loudly.

"You are blinded by hatred!" Remus snapped.

"I'm not-"

"Yes you are!" Remus said and then he sighed and his voice was softer when he spoke again, "people are disappearing, Harry, daily. We can only place our trust in a handful of people, and if we start fighting amongst ourselves, we're doomed." He ran his hand down his face and you saw Tonks giving Harry a shake of her head, as if telling him to leave it alone.