Chapter 47: The Interview

You paced nervously in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic as you waited for Tonks, and Fred reached over from where he sat to squeeze your hand reassuringly.

"Y/N, darling, you're going to smash it. Don't panic," he told you gently and you took a few deep breaths and brushed a hand down the leg of your black slacks, making sure they were dust and wrinkle-free.

"Thanks for coming with me, Fred," you told him gratefully and he smiled at you and gently tugged on your hand, encouraging you to sit down beside him on the chairs next to the wall. Fred had insisted on accompanying you to your big interview and you'd even taken him on the Tube to stall since you'd gotten dressed and ready three hours in advance of your interview time. You were restless and anxious, but you distracted yourself by watching his amazement at the underground station and how fast the train went.

However, there were no more distractions now as you waited for Tonks, and just as you were beginning to panic that you'd gotten the time for the interview wrong, you glanced up and saw her walking towards you with Mr Weasley.

"Hey, Dad!" Fred said happily as you both stood up to greet them. He hugged his father and then greeted Tonks while Mr Weasley gave you a hug and an encouraging smile, "you're going to do brilliantly, Y/N."

"Shall we head then, Y/N?" Tonks asked you with a grin and you nodded shakily. Fred gave you a tight hug and kissed your lips lightly, "good luck, darling. I'll see you after. You're going to blow them away." You waved goodbye to the two Weasleys and followed Tonks to where your interview would be held.

-

As soon as you were out of sight, Fred sat heavily back down in the chair and ran a nervous hand down his face, "oh Merlin, I hope it goes well for her." He had tried to hide his own nerves for your sake, but now that it was just him and his dad, he let his worry show. Arthur chuckled and sat down with his son, "she will, son. You know more than anyone how determined she is. There's no doubt in my mind that she'll impress them."

Fred sighed, "you're right, she will. She just really wants this job, and I want her to be happy, even if it scares the shit out of me that she could be doing something so dangerous."

Arthur studied Fred as he stared in the direction you'd left in, a knowing smile on his face as he watched his son. "She's the one, isn't she, Fred?" He asked and Fred looked at his dad with wide eyes, and then a genuine grin split his face, "yeah she is, Dad."

Arthur smiled at him, "well, then, you'll want nothing more than to keep her safe, but you'll also have to remember that sometimes you'll just have to let her make her own decisions, even if you don't like them. Do you think your mother wanted me to go back to work after I was attacked? No, she most definitely didn't! But she also knows I have to make my own decisions, even if she doesn't like them."

Fred let out a long exhale "you're right. Thanks, Dad." Arthur stood up and clapped his son on the shoulder, "come on, I'm on my lunch break and I'm not going to let you sit here and worry yourself into a panic." Fred grinned at him and agreed, following him across the long Atrium.

-

Tonks had gone through potential questions with you and now, two hours later, you were sitting outside the interview chamber nervously fiddling with the hem of your blouse. You had just completed an hour-long aptitude test in another room, and despite it not being a test you could study for, the time you spent with Tonks beforehand made you feel more relaxed about sitting it. And now, all that was left for you to do was the interview.

"Y/N Y/L/N?" A voice called from down the corridor and you swallowed heavily and stood up, following the clerk to the room. You greeted the panel of five witches and wizards in dark Ministry cloaks and sat in front of them, very nearly missing the chair as you sat down.