Chapter 56: The Locket

A/N: Ah yes, the Locket, the source of all insecurities and angry outbursts <3

-----

The six of you were grouped in the clearing outside the tent early the next morning. You and the twins stood with a weak, but conscious Ron, as Harry and Hermione eyed the locket that was situated on a log in front of your group.

"You first," Hermione said to Harry and he nodded and raised his wand.

"Dissendium," Harry said, using the charm that could open or reveal secret passages or hidden openings, and the top of the log where the locket lay exploded. You all approached slowly and saw that the locket was still closed, its strange green finish with the 'S' in it was completely undamaged.

Hermione raised her wand, "Incendio." The leaves and forested ground burst into flames but again, the locket was completely untouched by the spell.

You pointed your wand at it, "Diffindo!" hoping the Severing Charm would cut it open. You all edged towards the locket again and you sighed in exasperation as you saw it was still intact. You hung back with the twins and Ron, and the four of you shared a look of concern as Harry and Hermione continued to follow the Slytherin locket.

"Expulso!" Harry said loudly, and you could tell that with each spell he cast he was growing more and more frustrated. Finally he gave up, and he picked up the locket and put it around his neck.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked warily. Harry tucked the locket under his shirt, "we have to keep it safe until we find out how to destroy it."

"Seems strange, mate," Ron spoke up as he adjusted his sling, "Dumbledore sends you off to find all these Horcruxes but doesn't tell you how to destroy them. Doesn't that bother you?"

Harry looked back at you all for a moment but didn't answer and walked away. It clearly bothered him even if he didn't want to admit it, and you had to acknowledge how much it bothered you, and probably everyone else too.

Later that evening, you and the Weasleys sat inside the tent listening to Potterwatch on the portable Muggle radio you'd pulled from your bag. Things were getting even more dangerous out there as reports of deaths and disappearances began to increase tenfold.

"A goblin by the name of Gornuk was killed, and it is believed that Dean Thomas and a second goblin, both believed to have been traveling with Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell who are also missing, may have escaped. If Dean is listening, or if anyone has any knowledge of his whereabouts, his parents and sisters are desperate for news...Meanwhile, a Muggle family of five has been found dead in their home."

You listened in horror as Lee's voice echoed through the radio. "Poor Dean," you whispered to no one in particular, and your heart sank when you'd heard that the boy had had to go on the run to keep his Muggle family safe, and that they had no idea if he was alive or not.

"That's all from our general news update today, but my new correspondent, Raven, has news from her sources about the goings-on in Hogwarts. Over to you Raven."

You perked up at the sound of the new addition to the show and listened carefully.

"Thanks for that River. There has been a complete overhaul of staffing at Hogwarts according to my sources-"

You gasped in recognition, "that's Bea!" Fred wrapped his arm around you as you almost cried with relief at the sound of your friend's voice, having not heard from her since she and her family went into hiding shortly before you'd gone to the Ministry in September and realised that Muggleborns were being hunted.