[Queen 0053]

Today was like any other morning, Claire woke up alone to an empty bed, takes a deep breath as she baths in the quietness of her cold room

Today was like any other morning, Claire woke up alone to an empty bed, takes a deep breath as she baths in the quietness of her cold room. A million thoughts run through her mind, but she keeps them away just until tomorrow. Today was for her babies and any worries, problems, complications she had can wait for tomorrow.

Making breakfast was usually her favorite thing, she likes to reminisce the old days when she was but a small girl helping her mother cook food or bake goodies. She likes to remember the simple times when her mother would teach her how to make something and when little Caroline came waltzing in the kitchen with a bored, sullen expression whining to her twin about how Claire should be playing with her instead of being an old lady. Claire remembers her mother laughing at Caroline when their father came in flicking Caroline's forehead with a stern look, "cooking is what a woman should know how to do, Caroline. You should learn a thing or two about your sister, at least she'll have a fine husband one day."

Father, despite how he treated Caroline when he knew the truth, was a lovely man.

Thinking about her father, a frown suddenly appears on her face. She slowly stirs the bowl filled with pancake batter, father. . . Stefan.

Oh, Stefan. . . her poor, poor, Stefan.

Today marks yet another birthday he missed. Don't get her wrong, she's proud of him and understands why he did what he did, but it didn't make it any better at times like these.

From before his death, today was a special day. Today was a day where the kids didn't ask about Niklaus, today was a day where Stefan could pretend to be their biological father. Today he would wake Claire with a soft yet passionate kiss on her lips, mumble an "I love you," helps her with making breakfast then gets the kids ready so they can eat together as a family.

Claire holds the counter, her knuckles turn white with how hard her grip is, she desperately holds back a sob. She couldn't cry today, today she's supposed to be all happy filled with sunshine and rainbow.

Today she had to pretend that she didn't dream of Stefan last night, pretends that yesterday she didn't sleep with an old sweater of his - though it doesn't smell like him anymore, something that truly sadness her greatly- she has to pretend that memories of Stefan do not plague her every thought, she has to pretend that she's okay because she can't afford to show anyone that's she's hurting... for now, at least.

With a tender hold on her necklace, her lips brush her marriage rings. She clears her throat, "Stefan. Honey, today's their birthday, and um, we're throwing a ball. They've gotten so big, honey. You'll be proud of how strong they've gotten. Are you proud?" A dry laugh escapes before she could stop it, "of course, you're proud. They're your babies, aren't they? Don't worry, I'll let them know you love and miss them." She lips her wet lips and wipes a fallen tear, "we miss you. I miss you. Every day. As I promise, today is all about them. We'll be okay, hon. I love you." She kisses Stefan's wedding ring, her lips linger there as she shuts her eyes. Her grip on her rings tightens with every passing second before she lets go, wiping away her tears and puts on a smile. "I know, no more crying. Right?"