Creatober (Day 18) : Regret

Aged-Up AU!~

Aged-Up AU!
~

Athanasia stared blankly at the wooden coffin in front of her. Everyone else was mourning. But she couldn't.

No, she wouldn't.

Lucas, Athanasia's husband, gently grabbed the woman's shoulder. Athanasia turned to look at the magician.

"Athy.." his voice was scratchy. "I'm sorry. I wasn't fast enough."

Athanasia felt nothing.

It was so sudden. Athanasia and Lucas were asleep in their room when a piercing scream rang throughout the palace. Lucas had teleported to the source of the scream while Athanasia struggled to get out of bed.

Her intuition had told her something was wrong. Athanasia ran out into the hallway in a panic and started sprinting down the hallway.

Athanasia hadn't known a lot about this world ever since she reincarnated. Magic? Royalty? Zero. She knew nothing. But running came naturally to her.

So the fact that it was the one thing that failed her, in a time as important as this, was astounding.

When Athanasia reached the room, she pushed the heavy wooden doors open.

There was a corpse next to Lucas, burned alive. And in his arms was their daughter. She was covered in blood and wounds, her breathing was irregular.

"Mama.."

"Don't worry, I'm here." Athanasia ran over and kneeled down, taking her tiny hand.

"Mama, I'm in pain."

"I know."

"Mama, it's cold."

"I know." Tears were forming in Athanasia's eyes.

"Mama.. I'm going to sleep for a bit.. okay..?"

Lucas cursed, desperately trying to heal the girl while Athanasia held her daughter's hand. "Okay."

"I love you Mama, Dada."

"I love you too." Athanasia whispered quietly while Lucas cursed the Earth.

"..mom?"

Athanasia turned around to see her son standing in the doorway, terrified. "W.. What happened to little sister?"

"..I'm sorry. Your sister is going to sleep for a long time."

Tears threatened to form in the boy's eyes. "She'll wake up, right?"

Athanasia turned back at her daughter's lifeless body.

"Dad- she'll wake up, right?!"

"..."

The gravity of the situation hit the young prince. Running over to his little sister, he grasped her hand and weeped into his mother's clothes.

Athanasia finally broke. She fell in front of her daughter's wooden tomb, doomed to never leave. She would never smile, dance, laugh again.

Sobbing and wailing, the Queen of Obelia broke down, the people of her kingdom quietly watching.