I'll Provide. I'll Survive. (Living is a different situation, however.)

They were never really rich, but not sad enough to be classified as poor either.

Athanasia, ever since she was a child, was never loved. Despite being a princess.

All the maids looked down at her with a type of hate her brain couldn't recognize.

And honestly? As a child, Athanasia never noticed. She would greet them with happiness, with tender love.

Only to be kicked in return.

But that was okay, at the time.

Because that was all she knew.

The only person that would really treat her right was Lily.

Reflecting back on it, the current Athanasia hums.

She supposes the only reason she treated the maids so well was because she didn't have anyone else.

She assumed the abuse was natural.

And then? She met the emperor of the country she was born in.

Not where she currently resided, mind you. Where she was born.

Claude de Alger Obelia.

Her father.

She had been- what, around 9 at the time? It was quite literally the first time she had seen a man in her life.

Athanasia remembers too vividly. Her father, wearing formal wear. The kind knight, with red hair.

Claude had looked down at the girl with disgust, the knight looked down at her with pity.

That was the only two looks she had received all her life- burning hatred or pity.

But she was fascinated. Of course, Athanasia was fascinated.

She took the time out of her life.

To study.

To train.

To be absolutely, positively perfect.

It doesn't matter how much it hurt, it doesn't matter how her body was begging her to take a break.

The bruises didn't matter.

But then, during her debutante at the ripe age of 14, she had come.

Jennette.

Athanasia didn't hate the girl. Nor did she mildly dislike, or even just dislike, Jennette.

She just felt.

Numb.

All of her hard work, all of her progress.

Wiped away.

Because of this girl.

That was fine. She had convinced herself. That's okay.

Jennette was moved to the Emerald Palace. Athanasia was not.

Jennette was treated like a proper princess. Athanasia was not.

Jennette was loved by Claude, the emperor. Athanasia was not.

That last one especially stung.

But then. Athanasia was accused of poisoning Jennette.

The girl knew for a fact that she hadn't touched that tea cup.

But everyone else seemed to think differently.

So, Athanasia had gathered everything she could. Pieces of gold from out of the wall. Multiple pairs of clothes. A few personal belongings.