Hanahaki (pt. 2)

Lucas is dead.

That's a fact. One that Athanasia didn't want to be true.

Mainly because she was the cause of his death.

Hanahaki- that's what the page said. It was caused by unreciprocated, or unknown, love.

Athanasia had loved Lucas, a lot actually. She was just too stubborn to admit it.

And that had taken Lucas's life.

The flowers had stopped growing in Lucas's lungs. But the whole rose that flew out of his throat had scraped it's terrible thorns against his throat. Causing him to suffocate on his own blood.

Athanasia was planning on confessing her feelings to him that weekend. He would have accepted, and they would have smiled and hugged and do whatever new couples do.

But now, his blood leaked over the cool stone of the Black Tower, tainting it.

The princess had tears leaking from her eyes, when a sharp, suffocating pain appeared in her throat.

Athanasia was choking.

Desperately trying to cough up whatever was afflicting her throat, Athanasia hacked and wheezed into her arm until an array of petals erupted from her mouth. All caked in blood.

Picking it up, Athanasia frowned. There were different types of flowers laying here.

Aconite. It resembled death and warning.

Chrysanthemums. They symbolized a lot of things but two of them were mourning and grief.

And-

And a yellow tulip.

They were associated with many things, and one of them.

One of them was unrequited love.

It wasn't! Athanasia's mind screamed. It wasn't unrequited! Lucas loved me too!

...

He couldn't. Not anymore.

The princess's feelings will forever remain unanswered, as no one was there to respond to them.

Crying and bleeding over her beloved's body.