4| Pitstop

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Pitstop

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 4: Pitstop (Vince's POV)

The remaining days, until we left for New York, were the same as usual. I would wake up early, work out, go back to sleep, Demi would wake me up for practice, we'd leave after I had breakfast. Then depending on my to-do list for the day, we'd do all those things. Then evening practice and that was usually it, dinners aside. 

Today, we leave for New York. I told Demi last night I wanted to leave early in the morning so I could spend the majority of the day in our hotel, resting. It's my one day off, I don't want it to go to waste because being on Royal Riders, being my parent's son, and being a celebrity was exhausting enough. 

Hunter Industries is my father's company and the sole reason he now hates my existence. Because when I had the choice in college to choose between hockey and business, I chose hockey. Dad and I made a deal when I got into college on a sports scholarship. 

That ultimately, no matter what, I would join and take over the business. But when I saw an opportunity to be drafted for the sport, I broke the deal and chose hockey behind his back. Besides, Dad may not have resented me before that, but he didn't like me either. He wasn't a good parent, he wasn't even there as a shadow while I grew up. Even when he got custody because my mom willingly gave it up.

I like my mom. I tolerate my dad. But I don't love any one of them. 

I sat on the bed, listening to Demi brief me on everything I had waiting for me once we got back while she packed my bag. I laid everything out earlier and now she's packing it for me. "You have an interview with two magazines once we're back. Blade Runner Magazines and Playpen. You have a photoshoot with Catalyst and Aura. You have a radio interview as well. And—" She huffed, zipping up the bag and setting it on the ground. "Hunter Industries' silver jubilee party." 

I let out a small groan, watching her. "Have you confirmed all these things?" 

"Yes. I asked you for each one of them a few days ago. You confirmed. Do you want to cancel anything?" 

I thought for a minute. It can't be that bad. I do this all the time. As long as Demi's there to handle me and get me out of there when I need her to. "No. Are you done packing?" 

She stared at me, her look very clearly telling me, "It's your bag I'm packing," but she kept her mouth shut and nodded. 

"So, what are we waiting for? Let's go." 

She heaved a breath and made sure she had my house keys. 

I walked ahead of her and she turned off the lights, walking out of my room. I began jogging downstairs but stopped when she called my name. 

"Vince." She sighed, "I can't carry your bag down the stairs." 

I lifted a brow at her. "Try." 

She stared at me incredulously. 

I'm being a dick. I know I'm being a dick. I don't normally make her do this, I know the bags are too heavy for her. But something about the way she acted at lunch with my mother has ticked me off.