29| Practice

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Practice

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 29: Practice (Demi's POV)

When I woke up, Vince was gone. I read the text he sent me, so I knew he was at practice. I changed into a pair of pajamas first and then got to making dinner. I decided to make some fried rice with chicken. I was almost done cooking when I heard the elevator ding open. I called out without turning around, "Vince?" 

"Yeah!" he called out. 

I didn't turn to look and kept cooking instead. I heard his footsteps before the sound of his duffel bag landed on the counter. "Are you hungry?" I glanced over, hearing him open the fridge. 

He was drinking water and briefly nodded when I looked at him. His hair was still damp from the shower he took after practice. 

"I made chicken and fried rice. Enough for you, don't worry," I chuckled softly. 

He sighed, "I'm exhausted." 

I was rooted in one place when I felt his arms come around me from behind, his chin resting on my shoulder as he planted a quick, soft kiss on my cheek. I blinked, turning the stove off and turning to look at him. 

He just hugged me quickly, tightening his arms around my waist. 

I opened my mouth to say something, anything, but no words came out. I put my arms around him, rubbing up and down his back. His entire body felt tense and he seemed absolutely drained. "You okay?" I asked after a long pause. 

He pulled back to look at me and softly shook his head. "No. But yeah, I'm fine." 

"You can tell me," I said pointedly. 

"I'm just tired, Demi," he chuckled softly. 

I eyed him for a minute. 

"What?" he asked. 

"I'm just worried about you." 

"Are you?" he smirked, resting his hands on the counter behind me. 

"Of course, I am." 

He watched me carefully. "Why?" 

I blinked in confusion. "Because I care about you." He didn't say anything, his eyes scanning my face. "Why else would I—" 

He took in a breath before holding my cheek in his palm and leaning down to kiss me. 

What is happening? What the hell is he doing? 

For a minute, my mind and body both went into shock. I had no idea what to do and how to respond because I couldn't figure out why he was kissing me. We didn't have an audience or paparazzi, obviously. And yet I still found myself kissing him back. 

I went up on my toes, resting one hand on the back of his neck and pulling him in just a little closer. He deepened the kiss, his hands resting on my hips and I looped my arms around his neck, my fingers running through his hair. I felt his teeth graze my lower lip and I took in a breath of surprise that made him smile.