30| Public

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Public

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 30: Public (Vince's POV)

The game was tonight and it's safe to say that everybody is anxious. The rest of the team, coach, from what I've heard, so is our audience. Even I am just a little nervous. The only person who seems insanely calm and scarily at ease is Demi. The game isn't at our stadium, it's at a proper, huge stadium that's not too far from ours, so we're currently driving. Just like we usually do, Demi and I are driving in my car and the others are on the bus. I agreed to drive today. 

As I stopped at a red light, our bus right in front of us, I turned to Demi. "You seem unusually calm for tonight's game. It's the first game of the season, I expected you to be more nervous." 

"Why would I be nervous?" she asked. "You always win," she shrugged. 

"What if we lose this time?" 

"Don't say that," she hissed, "if you lose, the entire team is done for the season, you don't get to play against good competitors again. And I'll look stupid in the stands. Did I really have to wear your hat again?" 

"Yes." 

"Why?" 

"Because you're my girlfriend and that has to show." 

"Vince." 

"Hmm?" I stepped on the gas, following our bus as the light turned green. 

"Don't you think we can stop now?" 

"Stop what?" 

She hesitated. "The act." 

I stayed quiet for a long time. "Why?" 

"The whole point of this was to redeem our reputations, wasn't it? We did that already." 

"It's only been a month." 

"No, I know, but we got what we wanted. The public loves you again and doesn't hate me anymore. Your position on the team is secured now too, so... what are we waiting for?" 

"I thought you wanted your debts paid off." I glanced at her. 

Realization flickered across her face. Had she forgotten that she was supposed to get something out of this too? "You don't have to do that if you don't want to. You promised me the apartment under yours, that's enough. I can pay off the debts." 

"When? In another lifetime?" 

She huffed, leaning back in her seat. 

"Demi, $350,000 is a lot." 

"You didn't think I could pay it off?" 

"No, I don't think you can," I said bluntly. I glanced at her. "Demi, I made you a promise and I signed it. I'll keep my word. But you have to keep yours."