27| Care

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Care

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 27: Care (Demi's POV)

When I woke up the next morning, he was still fast asleep, lying exactly the same way. I noticed that he doesn't move around too much in his sleep, only when he's having a nightmare. I thought that last time too. 

The last time this happened, he didn't ask to hold me, he didn't ask me to lay with him. He just asked me to stay. Last time, I sat on the floor and held his hand until he fell asleep. Then I left and went back home. This time, he would move every time I did though. Every time I tossed and rolled onto the other side, he would mumble or whimper in his sleep and he would hold me tighter. 

Several times throughout the night, I had to remind him and comfort him. I had to say, "It's okay. I'm still here." 

I went downstairs to make breakfast, thinking at first that I shouldn't bring this up. It would be better for him if I act like nothing happened. But this is beyond that. I was so scared for him last night. It was like everything was happening again. I don't know what it is, what trauma he hasn't dealt with, what happened to him, and who hurt him, but he needs to do something about it. Something that prevents him from having these nightmares. 

I didn't wake him up to go to the gym and soon, we're supposed to be at practice, but I've decided that he's not going. He needs a day off. A real day off. I was making breakfast when my phone rang on the counter. I answered it, reading James' name on the screen. "Hello?" 

"Where are you two? He should be here by now, the others are warming up, where is he?" 

"He's not coming today," I replied bluntly. 

He paused for a split second. "What do you mean he's not coming?" 

"He's taking the day off." 

"What? Why?" 

"Because he needs it."

"Demi, he needs to be here right now. We have our first real game this Friday." 

"I know that," I said calmly. "But he needs the day off, James." 

"Demi." 

"James," I said sharply, getting frustrated. 

He sighed, "What's wrong with him? Is he hurt?" 

"No." 

"Thank god. Is he sick?" 

"No." 

"Then he can't take the day off." 

"James, I'm telling you, just trust me. He really needs a day off. He's exhausted." 

"Demi, come on, so are all the other players." 

I ground my teeth, taking a breath. "Why don't you understand?"