19| Surprise

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Surprise

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 19: Surprise (Demi's POV)

Two days after that dinner was Saturday, which meant Vince had a game. 

I spent the last two days packing and Vince would drop by and help out a little. I was pretty much done packing up everything I needed, only a few things were left. When Vince came by yesterday, we sat and made a whole plan for today. I was his assistant these past two days. I started doing my job again except only from my apartment. I couldn't be seen with him in public until tonight, so I was his assistant over the phone. 

It was even more stressful than being his assistant otherwise, surprisingly. But not being able to see if people were doing their job right before Vince arrived and also making sure Vince knew what to do and where to go was so difficult. 

Tonight, I'll be at the game but not as his assistant, as his girlfriend. We'll start giving the press snippets of us together to get the rumors going. Everyone expected us to stay away from each other after the New York scandal. That's what it was, a scandal. And that's what we tried doing but clearly, it backfired, so now we're diving into this headfirst. 

He brought a spare jersey of his to give to me and one of his signature black hats. 

"What do I do with these?" I asked. 

"Wear them to the game. Here's your ticket." He handed it to me. "Sit in the stands, all right?" 

"All right," I mumbled, staring at the three items in my lap. Girlfriend mode - on. 

Tonight's game was in Boston, luckily, and Vince said he would come pick me up by five-thirty. I was ready by then. I pulled on a pair of jeans with black ankle boots. The jersey was huge, as expected, so I put on a thin white full-sleeve cotton turtleneck and then his jersey on top of that. My hair was still in loose waves from last night, so I left it down and pulled on his hat, tightening it until it fit me. I looked decent enough for the press. I grabbed a pair of gold hoops and put them on before spraying on perfume and then grabbing my phone and keys, tucking them into my pocket just as the doorbell rang. I flicked the lights off and jogged out, opening the door. 

He glanced at my clothes and then nodded. "You look—" 

"Decent, I know," I mumbled, locking my door. "Let's go." 

He blinked, his brows creasing before he shrugged it off and walked with me. As the elevator descended, the lights flickered again. "What is wrong with the power in your building?" he asked. 

"Nothing," I replied, "we've been getting a lot of power cuts. So the lights do that." 

"Are you telling me we could be stuck here right now?" 

The elevator dinged and opened. "But we didn't," I replied, glancing at him and walking out. We reached his car and I waited for him to give me the keys, except he didn't. "Are you driving?" I asked while he opened the passenger door for me. 

"Yes. Get in the car," he nodded. 

"Gladly," I scoffed lightly, sitting inside and pulling my belt on while he closed the door. He got in from his side and started driving us to the stadium. "The game is at our stadium?" I asked, glancing at the entrance.