28| Romance

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Romance

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 28: Romance (Vince's POV)

I closed my locker, picking my bag up from the bench and pulling it over one shoulder. 

"Vince." I looked over at Christian as he pulled his shirt on. "Where were you yesterday?" he asked in confusion. 

"Yeah," Michael mumbled, "you didn't show up. Everything good?" 

"Everything's fine," I nodded. "I just... wasn't feeling up to it." 

"You weren't feeling up to it or Demi decided you needed a day off?" Christian asked knowingly. 

She told me about what she said to James and coach. I'm guessing the team members were told or they overheard. "It was personal, guys," I huffed. 

"That's fine, we're not asking. But you're okay, yeah?" 

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine." 

They glanced at each other and I walked around them and out the door. 

"Hunter!" I stopped as coach Peters walked up to me. "I don't know why you couldn't make it into practice yesterday," he sighed. 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I missed one day, big deal. I made up for that today, I learned the whole strategy, what is the problem? 

"But it was last minute and sounded urgent. That's why I let it slide. Don't let it happen again. We have our first real seasonal game this Friday. We can't afford to lose. Got it?" 

"Yes, sir," I nodded. 

He hummed in approval and then moved out of the way, walking past me to the locker room. 

I walked over, spotting Demi sitting at the bleachers, scrolling through her phone. 

She pulled me through yesterday and the night before. If she wasn't there, I probably would have either had the worst attitude you can imagine and been a dick to everybody at practice. It's what happens every time after one of these nightmares. 

I have a shitty day, I can't practice properly, my body doesn't cooperate, and I can't remember the strategy. 

Yesterday, Demi stayed home with me. We cooked lunch and dinner together and ate together, we watched some movies, she cleaned up the place a little, and she took me out for a drive. I wasn't really feeling up to it, but she made it her mission to drag me out of bed and go for a drive. Just here and there. We stopped by a candy stand and she bought cotton candy and handed it to me. 

I said, "I don't eat cotton candy." 

And she replied, "It's for me. Just hold onto it till we get home." Only, by the time we got home, I finished the whole thing. 

I made it over to her and she stood up, pocketing her phone while smiling. "Hi." 

"Hi," I mumbled. "Do I have anywhere else to go?"