8| Luck

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Luck

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 8: Luck (Vince's POV)

Her dress came off. My shirt came off. I rolled us over so she lay under me and I held myself up, looking at her from her face down to her legs. I imagined this when she first came along and it took some time to throw this picture out of my head. 

But she looks different now, two years later. Older. Her hair is lighter, she has a few more freckles and beauty spots. She paints her nails now, puts on more makeup now. She... has a fucking tattoo here? 

"When'd you get that?" I mumbled, my thumb brushing over her hip bone at the two hearts, made to look like cherries, inked in red. They were tiny, right with the sharp bone of her hip, under the thin waistband of her underwear. 

"When I graduated," she exhaled. 

"And the butterfly?" I questioned. I knew about the butterfly one. I saw it one day when she had her back turned to me with her hair thrown up. A red butterfly on the back of her neck. 

She bit back a smile. "When I completed my first year working with you." She looked over at my left bicep. "What about your butterfly?" 

"On my mom's birthday," I replied. 

"And the dagger?" She ran a nail over the small tattoo on my side. I sucked in a breath, staring at her. She bit down a smile, knowing what she was doing. 

"When I got on the team," I breathed out. 

"And the compass?" 

I blinked in surprise. "You've seen that?" It's on my back, so not many people know about it. 

She nodded. 

I paused. "When I graduated, knowing I made the right choice playing hockey." 

She hesitated, glancing from my chest, up to me. "And the scar?" she whispered. 

I chuckled softly, knowing if I recalled that poisonous memory, I would ruin everything that's happening here right now. "No sob stories. This isn't a romance," I replied, leaning down and kissing her before she asked more questions. I unhooked her bra as she arched off the bed. 

"Are you going to fire me?" she mumbled against my lips. 

"Not unless I have to," I answered into the kiss. 

It wouldn't be fair to fire her. She's doing this just as much as I am, we're both breaking the rules. I'll be in articles for some time and she'll lose her whole job. It's not fair. But life's not fair. It never has been, never will be. 

"So, you might?" 

I pulled away, looking at her and nodding hesitantly. "I might." 

She scoffed. "Dick." 

I smiled, leaning back down and kissing her. We're in too deep. It's too late, we've already broken the contract, might as well go all the way. Plus, neither of us seems to want to stop now. This feels too good to give up.