15| Home

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Home

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 15: Home (Demi's POV)

It's currently two in the morning and I'm still lying awake, thinking about Vince's stupid offer. I don't know what to actually think. I mean... I get where he's coming from but I just can't bring myself to agree. I want to, I see how it would help me and God, do I need the help. But it just feels wrong. It is wrong, actually. 

I sat up with a huff, throwing the covers off. I climbed out, pulling on my slippers and grabbing my phone off my nightstand. I went out and grabbed my apartment keys from the coat hanger, and then left. If I'm facing sleepless nights because of this disaster Vince threw at me, then so will he. I made it downstairs and despite the time, cabs were cruising down the streets, so I hailed one. "Carlisle apartments, please," I exhaled. 

He started driving, glancing at me in the rearview mirror. "Ma'am." 

"Yes?" 

"Can I ask you somethin'? If you don't mind, I mean." 

I already know what he's going to ask me. "Sure," I mumbled hesitantly. 

"Are you Demi Vaughn? Vince Hunter's assistant?" 

"Yes, I—" I stopped myself. "No," I said softly, "not anymore." 

"Oh, but you were, right?" 

I looked at him through the rearview mirror. "Is that a problem?" 

"No, not at all. I saw you at one of the games here in Boston last season. I'm a big fan," he laughed softly, "Royal Riders is the best team Boston has, I go to a game every season with my grandson. We saw you there near the entrance to the rink. I figured when we saw you talkin' to the Vince Hunter, you must be his girlfriend, but... I found out uh, recently, that you were his assistant. Is he really as tall and big as he seems?" 

"Bigger," I snorted. 

"Well, you weren't in the press earlier but I saw you at every game, so I figured Vince Hunter must be happy to have an assistant like you. I mean, how come the press never says his parents came for his games?" 

I just listened for the rest of the drive while he talked about how much he and his grandson loved Vince and I thought about what he said. How come his parents are never shown attending his games? It's because they never do. Not even his mom. 

"Thank you so much." I used the QR code on the back of the seat to pay from my phone and then got out, heading inside, let in by the doorman who knew me very well. 

"Long time no see," he sang. 

"Mr. Harris," I chuckled, walking to the reception desk. I stopped in front of Vanya, the receptionist here on most days. 

She took a double-take at me before squealing softly. "You're here." 

I frowned in confusion. "You seem awfully excited to see me," I laughed.