The Goodbye

After Enzo had welcomed me I did the one thing I was definitely not allowed to do. I turned and threw my arms around John, who didn't even hesitate to hug me back. With him being so tall he had to lift me and leave my legs dangling.

"I love you and we're both going to be okay. I'll see you again I promise," I whispered in his ear. He gripped me tighter and nodded.

Dimitri snapped and in a very angry voice said, "What the fuck are you doing, May?!"

I felt my hair being yanked back as I was ripped from John's arms. Dimitri looked down at me with a look that promised retribution.

Dimitri turned to Enzo saying, "I'm so sorry, I promise she's usually better trained than that. If you'd like to change your choice now I don't blame you at all."

I stood in my submissive stance as soon as Dimitri let go of my hair.

"Head up," he demanded.

I immediately did as I was told and prepared myself for the slap I knew was coming. My cheek stung and I suspected I was going to have a black and blue handprint tomorrow.

"No, I'm going to keep her, and I don't appreciate you damaging my property," Enzo said in a dangerous tone.

Dimitri looked at Enzo with a look of surprise and fury. He clenched his jaw so hard, I'm surprised he didn't crack a tooth.

"Very well, I apologize for the damage." Dimitri said while seething in anger.

Enzo turned to me and our eyes locked. He had an intense stare that had me believing he could look into my soul.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He asked motioning to John.

"No sir, he is just a comrade I have become too comfortable with. Please forgive me." I said while bowing my head in submission.

"Well, you and your comrade have two minutes to say goodbye." Enzo replied

I snapped my head up in surprise.

"Th...thank you sir," I stumbled out surprised with his kindness.

I looked to John to see him staring suspiciously at Enzo. I walked back into Johns arms.

"Listen, keep an eye on the new recruits. Teach them like I've done so they don't get as many punishments. Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day instead of once. Oh fuck, I should've shown you the proper tuck when you're making your bed since I won't be there to do it for you anymore," I said.

John let me down and took a step back before looking at me sheepishly.

"Jeez, I'm not a child. You don't have to go all mother hen on me." He complained

I chuckled, and for the first time in seven years I felt the burn in my throat and pressure behind my eyes that signaled I was about to cry. John widened his eyes as he seemed to realize it. He instantly took my face in his hands.

"Hey, I'm going to be okay. I promise I'll look after everyone."

I choked up as I looked deep in his eyes before saying,

"I know, you're going to kick ass. You're so strong and you're going to do amazing."

It was his turn to chuckle and show he was close to tears. I had kept mine in, but I saw two escape and slide down his face. I reached up and cupped his face in my hands while using my thumbs to brush them away.

"I love you," I said.

He let out a couple more tears before choking out,

"I love you, too."

I held out my pinky to him like we always do before one of us goes on a mission. He smiled and hooked his pinky in mine. Then, like every time, we echoed out,

"Till next time"

As children we were told that every mission could be dangerous enough to end in death. John and I promised we would see each other again, whether it was in this life or the afterlife.

I gave him one final smile before I turned back around and looked at Enzo.

"Thank you, sir," I said more firm this time.

He nodded his head once acknowledging my gratitude.

Enzo looked to Dimitri before saying, "Very well, now that business is done your welcome to stay for dinner and a drink."

"I would be flattered," Dimitri said in a tone that shook me to my bones.

To anyone else it would sound neutral, but to those of us he trained, we knew it meant the worst whipping of our lives.

I really hope I don't have to be present for the shit show this dinner is going to be.