Canvases

Once Enzo recovered from his shock he said that no, instructional videos do not count at all. He began listing movies we had to watch together ASAP. I just nodded along while I finished my food. When I got back to my room I took a quick shower and then debated what to wear.

I didn't want to seem like I was trying to seduce him. Then again, if he did get my clothes off I wanted him to see something that would turn him on. However, he's smart enough to know that if I wore lingerie, I planned it. That could break this new sprout of trust that was beginning to grow between us.

I grabbed some short shorts and a baggy t-shirt. I wore plain underwear and no bra. Hopefully that would work well enough. I won't push sex this time. I think my mistake in the past was trying to jump right into things. If I take it slow it'll seem more like I have genuine feelings for him. Even so, I brushed my teeth. Just in case.

I made my way up towards Enzo's room and didn't miss the looks that still followed me. The guard who had broken my nose was standing in front of Enzo's door. His eyes traced the yellow and black bruising that still sat under my eyes. He looked guilty. I gave him a small smile hoping to convey that I still deserved it, even if I had a shitty childhood.

Once I was in Enzo's room I heard the shower still running. He must have had some tasks to do after breakfast. Then again I was showered and changed in under twenty minutes. I decided to lightly snoop while I had the chance. The shower sounds were coming from the right. The door next to the bathroom turned out to be a huge walk in closet.

I moved to the left wall of the bedroom. The first door I opened was the movie room. A huge tv was at the end while two rows of six seats were closest to the door. The seats reclined, very nice. I think this will be fun.

The shower was still running so I tested out the last door. Inside were canvases. Enzo had said he oil painted. He also said I couldn't see his work. I flicked on the lights and walked further into the small studio space. I looked at canvases covered in the most beautiful art.

Flowers that looked so life like even without color. People who worked in the mansion that somehow looked real but better on the canvas. The mansion itself was featured on a couple of different canvases. Every detail including the number of shrubs out front was accounted for.  New York City skylines from every angle we're painted in a magical way. When I made it to the back wall I nearly choked.

There was painting after painting of....me. One in my submissive pose. One with my head thrown back in ecstasy, tangled in his bed. One with the faintest of smiles on my face while I looked at someone off to the side, out of the canvas. One with my hair looking like a rats nest. One when I wore the black dress to get Ronan to meet. One where I'm lined up and aiming the gun directly at the person on the other side of the canvas. One where I'm throwing someone over my shoulder in the fighting ring. One where I'm sat perched on a lap with a hand gently cupping my face. One where I'm looking up, a view that Enzo must see when we stand toe to toe. One of the view behind me while I run, the trees and flowers not given nearly as much care as my figure and swinging ponytail. One where I'm laughing, flour Stuck to my face. One where I'm staring down, haunted eyes trying to hide.

I can't breathe.

"What are you doing?" Enzo's panicked voice asked.

I whipped around. The shower had stopped. Enzo stood in the doorway with nothing but a towel hanging around his hips. He looked panicked. I felt panicked. Someone had snuck up on me. I let someone sneak up on me.

"I-" my voice was breathless.

The words stuck in my throat. Enzo seemed to be having a similar problem. We just stared, incapable of speech.

"Enzo," I managed to get out.

His name sounded like a plea.

"May, I-" he tried.

"Why?" I asked.

"I - when I first saw you it just - you stuck in my head. I had to get it out. I had to get you out and I tried. I tried but you were always there," he explained, frustrated.

"You -I - why?" I tried again.

"I wish I knew," he admitted. "I know I'm a moth heading for the fire. A fly making a bed in a spiderweb. A sheep finding shelter in the wolves den."

I thought I knew that he cared for me but this.....this was something else entirely. This was the entire Italian mafia in the palm of my hand. This was John's freedom. I can not fuck this up.

"This is......Enzo I don't know, I don't know what to say," I whispered.

Enzo walked forward. I stayed in my spot until our toes were practically touching. It felt different now that I knew what he was seeing in the moment. Though, I suppose the beautiful woman on the canvasses can't be entirely true. I'm nowhere near as ethereal.

Enzo's hand came up and gently brushed my hair behind my ears. His hand was shaking.

"You don't have to say anything," he whispered back.

Slowly he leaned forward. I felt my head tipping back in an automatic response. When our lips lightly brushed Enzo stopped moving.

"Tell me no, May," he whispered against my lips.

"I don't want to," I answered before closing the small gap of space between us.