Chapter 9

*Conner's POV*

It has been a week since she left. Everyone in the pack has been down since she ran. They regret what they did, and I was bitter for the first day or two at them. But I've forgiven them now. I can see why they did it. They just don't know how it feels to have your mate away. It's pretty bad. It feels as if half of my heart left with her.

Things have also been very off in the pack. No one seems to want to do anything. Regular patrols have only been half done; Ann does her best to keep up with the housework though she doesn't have the exuberance of doing it anymore, so that's falling behind. It's just been strange. They were only shocked, which turned to anger for that brief amount of time. No one really wanted her gone.

Me, well I'm just in a daze lost without a cause. No reason to get out and about if I won't see her face. I feel like I have nothing to live for. I woke up again to a gray dawn. I put on a long sleeved shirt and jeans and a pair of shoes. Who cares what colors? Everything in this world is just a shade of gray anyways.

Mom gave me an exasperated and worried look as I went out the door. I didn't notice. I walked down the road, not knowing where I was going, not caring. Cars came and went splashing on me yesterday's rain. I heard another on approaching from behind me, and waited for it to pass me up. But it didn't. It rolled up beside me and the window went down. I looked inside and was surprised to find Tara's mom looking at me. "Conner! What in the world are you doing out here! You're all cold and wet! Hop in! I'll make you some nice warm soup."

I stood there like a deer in headlights. "Boy, you really don't look all that good. Hurry up; I don't have all day Conner. Get in."

Not really sure what I was doing, I decided to obey her commands and went in the passenger seat of her car. We arrived at her house and she rushed my inside. "Goodness, you're soaked! Give me those clothes; I'll throw them in the dryer."

I gave her a shocked expression. "My clothes?"

"Yes, now strip. Go in the bathroom then hand them through the door or something. I can give you some other ones in the meantime if you want."

"I'll take the other ones please."

"Fine just hurry up."

So I got shooed to the bathroom and changed into some other clothes she gave me. They were kind of baggy, but they were ok. I came out, and she smiled sadly at me. "Those were my husband's clothes. God bless his soul. Tara thinks we sold all his clothes, but I secretly kept some. It's nice that they're getting used for once."

I looked down at them. "These were Tara's father's clothes?"

"Yes. He was a good man. I feel bad for her; she had to take me on as a burden when he died. She's strong though. She's a strong girl."

I looked away from her face, and down the hall where there were other doors leading to other rooms, now having the burden of Tara's past.  

*15 min later*

I was sitting in the living room, after having some fresh homemade soup. Tara's mom, or Laura as she insisted I call her, was simply knitting in another rocking chair nearby. "So do you miss Tara? I think you should, seeing as you're in the same pack. I may not know much about wolf packs, but from what I do know, each individual pack member is important."

"Yes, I miss her. A lot actually. I mean the whole pack does, but me especially."

She raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?"

"Yes."

She stood up, came over and whacked me straight up on the head with a magazine. "Dummy! Then go after her!"

"Go after her?"

"Yeah. If you don't want her gone, and if you want to be with her, go after her and find her!"

"But where do I even start? She didn't say anything about where she was going!"

"I can help you with that. Give me your cell number."

"Why?"

"Because then I can tell you if she gives me information on her whereabouts."

So, I did and then the dryer beeped and I got my warm, dry clothes back. "I still don't know where to start."

"Just follow your nose. You'll find her." She led me to the door. I took a step out onto the porch. I was just about to start running when she said "Oh, Conner. I would suggest starting off your search in Idaho. She was headed that direction when she left."

I turned back to her "Wait, what? You mean she was here before she left?" All I got for a reply was a door slammed in my face. I ran back to my house, and tromped up the stairs. "Conner! What are you doing?" my mom exclaimed.

"Going after her."

"You can't be serious."

"Oh I am." I said as I finished stuffing clothes and some money into a backpack. I brushed past her and ran out the door. I was about to head into the woods, but then I realized my phone and laptop were still at the pack house. "Shit." I muttered, and made a short run over there.

I crept into the house, and hoped no one was around to hear me. I went to the upstairs bedroom that everyone shared, and grabbed my laptop and cell phone off the dresser and put them into the backpack.

I heard footsteps behind me. "Conner, what are you doing?" I heard Zevi ask from behind me. I froze, and then slowly turned around. Might as well be truthful with him. "Well, I'm going after Tara."

 He laughed one, hard laugh, then went serious on me again. "Seriously, dude what are you doing."

"I told you the truth I'm going after her."

He took a moment to grasp the idea, and then said. "Man, you are crazy! Do you know how far away she could be now? Your nuts."

"Yeah, well guess what? I don't care. I'm going to find her. I'm sick of hanging around here doing nothing. I don't want to be a mindless zombie anymore."

Then, Ann walked into the room. "What is going on here?" she asked.

"I was just leaving." I said, while looking at Zevi. Then, I flew down the stairs and ran out the door. Destination: Idaho.

**********************************************

ok, so kinda short I know. but the next one will be longer, plus it will also be in Conner's POV so vote and comment! you know i love them!