Chapter 38

Chapter 38

               I stood there beaming for a minute until I heard “good job.” I spun around to see Carlisle there. “You got her humanity back on.” he noted. I nodded, trying to compose a more professional look on my face. “Let’s talk over here.” He said, ushering me out of the room.

               “What is it?” I asked him once the door was shut and I could no longer see Sara.

               “You’ve done good work here Tara. Maybe it’s time you should go home and get some rest. I’m sure your family is missing you. We can handle the situation from here and report back to you.”

               Why did he want me to leave so soon? I wondered. Then Edward and Jasper appeared from behind Carlisle. Startled, I looked between the three of them, realizing just why they wanted me to leave. “What are you going to do?!?”

               “Extract information.” Stated Edward.

               “You can’t be serious!” I exclaimed. The looks on their face told me they were. “There’s no need for torture here! And no, I’m not going home. I will stay here and find out who did this to Sara. She will tell me willingly.”

               Jasper gazed at me questioningly. “How do you know her name? Did she tell you?”

               I opened my mouth to answer, but Edward cut me off. “Sara was her best friend since third grade. Supposedly she died the night Tara became a hybrid though. But now she’s a vampire.”

               I scowled at him. Damn mind reader. “as I was going to say,” I continued, turning back to Carlisle “there’s no need for torturing or vampire-proof chains. She will tell me anything and she won’t attack me. Even if she does, I can easily defend myself. I’ve already done it once before.”

               Carlisle stood silently while thinking it over before nodding. “Alright. We’ll do it your way.”

               I smugly smiled before heading back into the room with Sara in it. Time to find out the truth. She looked up as I walked back in before looking back down at the chains and squirming, trying unsuccessfully to get them off. “Uh, Tara? Are these really necessary?”

               “No.” I said, taking one chain that was bolted to the wall and tearing it off with ease. Apparently they were no match for hybrids. After tearing the other side out as well, I helped get the chains off.

               “Thank you, that feels much better.” She said gratefully. I brought up a chair for her to sit in, seeing as she was still a shaky on her feet and another chair for me to sit in as well. Just as I was about to start questioning her, she asked “hey could you get me some water please? My throat’s just a little dry.”

               “sure.” I said unsteadily. I knew what a dry throat meant for a vampire. Or hybrid. Just as I was about to stand up to get her some blood, Jasper walked in with a sac of it. “Thank you.” I murmured to him before handing it to Sara.

               She looked at me skeptically. “Why did you give me this? Water would’ve been fine.”

               “Sara, water does not quench a vampire’s thirst. I know this from experience. The only things vampires eat/drink is blood. I thought doing that three page essay on Dracula freshman year taught you that.”

               Her gaze dropped down. “Oh yeah, I’m a vampire. Sort of forgot about that part.”

               I sat forward in my chair and clasped my hands together. “Sara, do you remember anything from that night and beyond? At all?”