Chapter 41

Sorry for being late...again  T.T  But here ya go!

Chapter 41

               *Tara’s POV*

               At my words, Conner kissed my head again and held me closer. More tears poured out of my eyes as I tried to memorize the feel of his embrace, scent, voice, everything for when all I would have would be this memory.

               Honestly, I was scared of what was to come. Absolutely terrified. So I welcomed and cherished his comfort as I cried, wondering if this was one of the last times we could be together like this. With the future of us being able to stay by each other’s side for eternity in such jeopardy, I held on as long as I could.

               But in too soon of time, I heard footsteps on the hardwood floor approach and an innocent voice ask worriedly, “Tara?”

               I brought my face out of Conner’s shirt and saw Mirabelle watching me. Subsequently Rena, Sara and Emmett enthusiastically entered with Sara exclaiming “Tara! You never told me you had a kitten!!!” She immediately caught sight of my tear streaked face leaning on Conner’s shoulder and stopped stroking Paramore, who was in her hands. Instantly she understood what was going on.

               Rena and Mirabelle, however, did not. They exchanged distressed glances as Sara slowly backed off. “Tara what’s wrong? What’s going on?” Mirabelle cried.  

               I tried to swallow the lump in my throat in an attempt to answer. Rena’s expression dampened as she asked, “Does it have something to do with the adoption? Did it somehow fall through? Did the witch Nadia do something? Are we going to be taken back!?”

               “Oh no, it can’t be that!” Mirabelle wailed.

               I shook my head and took another shaky breath in an attempt to calm myself enough to tell them. Letting go of Conner, I wiped my tears and replied “No, it’s nothing like that.”

Rena let out a sigh of relief, before asking “Then what could it be?”

“I have to leave. I have to go fight this group that’s been after me.”

“Why is that so bad? Why are you crying?”

Trying to ignore the prickling that was starting at the back of my eyes once again, I took another moment to steady my voice. “Well it’s very, um, dangerous and there’s a good chance I won’t come back alive.”

The girls started to spill tears of their own. “Who are these people that are after you?”

“The White Circle.” Alice interrupted with a soft voice while walking through the front door. Looking at me, she said, “I came to make sure everything was okay and to gather the others to make plans.”