Chapter 10

*Conner's POV*

By the next day, I was in the middle of Idaho, with no luck of finding Tara. Her scent trail was all scattered, seeing as it was a week and some old, and it seems she didn’t stop anywhere because no one I talked to had seen her. I glanced at my watch to find it was about noon. My stomach growled menacingly so I decided to check out the town nearby. ‘Welcome to new Meadows, Idaho!’ the sign read. I passed it and headed on into to town. The town was a small  town, and had a couple of places to eat, but the first one I saw was Subway. So I went there.

“Hi welcome to subway what would you like today?” asked the employee, Steve

“Uh I would like a footlong meatball marinara.”

“In a meal with a drink?”

“No, just the sub.”

“For here or to go?”

“To go.”

“Coming right up.” He said as the girl behind him started making it.

“So, where you from?” he asked, trying to pass the time with conversation.

“Up north.”

“We’ve had a lot from up there recently. This one girl last week ate a whole footlong by herself in ten minutes. Must be a record.”

“Oh, really?” I inquired pretending to be interested when all I really wanted was for the girl to hurry up because I was starving.

“Yeah she was some sort of traveler. A little shady though if you asked me. Looked to be on the run or something. She didn’t know where to go next so I suggested she go to Las Vegas. There’s always something to do there.”

My ears perked up. “A traveler? Did she have long black hair?”

“Uh yeah I think so.” His eyes narrowed “Hey, why do you want to know anyways?”

“Oh, no reason.” I said casually, though under the surface I was bubbling in happiness with a new lead on her trail.

Two days later, I was strolling down the streets of downtown Las Vegas at night, and I must say it is certainly a crazy town. But it has a peace to it yet still. I’m not used to all the city lights or the non-stop beeping of horns but yet the town has some peace to it. The buildings are tightly packed together and the big city air seemed slightly toxic for me, but that’s just me. I’m a country boy as they would say.

I’m just walking down a road passing all the casinos and marriage sites trying to find some tourist spot that was supposed to be nearby. I knew Tara wouldn’t go to a casino or bar, she’s only 17 and was never one for gambling and she definitely wouldn’t be at a marriage place either. Well, at least I don’t think she’d be at a bar. This left the family-friendly tourist spots. That is if she’s still here.

I found the tourist info shop and stopped in. five minutes later, I came out with a small book and a few brochures.

* 4 days later *

I’m at a dead end here. I haven’t gotten a glimpse, and no one I’ve talked to have seen her. I sighed in my hotel room 10 floors up. She wasn’t here anymore. Might as well move on to the next town.  I picked up my bag and packed everything again. I took the elevator down and checked out with Claire, the service desk lady. “going already?” she asked smiling

“yeah. I was looking for someone. But she’s not here.”

She smiled sadly. I thought for a moment, and then asked. “Hey can you see if she was here?”