Chapter 34

Chapter 34

 By lunchtime the next day, I was ready to go back to bed. I was had been working since dawn, but for some reason the customers kept coming. I rushed around, cleaning another table while Denise ushered more people in and Penny delivered orders. The bell for the door chimed again and seeing as the other two had their hands full; I put on my fake smile and went to answer it.

To my surprise, it was Brandon’s date from a week or so previous with another guy. Maybe Brandon got rejected again.  I dismissed my train of thought, seeing as there wasn’t much time to think and ushered the couple to a table. The blonde girl giggled at something the guy said, and seemed genuinely happy. Good for her, I thought as I got their drinks.

After serving their dessert and such, I started cleaning the table next to theirs. Hopefully they would leave soon seeing as more people were coming through the door every minute that needed their table. Thankfully, they did and I busied in cleaning off their table.

I glanced out the window quick before doing a double take. Outside, for everyone to see, was the blonde and her date making out. Like full on making out. Like almost having an orgy making out. Like-well, I think you get the point.

I shook my head. They must have really clicked right away. I stashed away the memory and kept on working. I had a long day left ahead.

I strode into the house and dropped my bag on the floor, tired after a long day of work. Let’s just say it had been SUPER busy ever since lunch and when I left it still wasn’t letting up. Plus, I was about ready to drop on the spot. Poor Penny was stuck there ‘til close, but she was still going strong when I’d left.

Rena rushed past me muttering “He’ll be here any minute.” Oh, yeah she had a date I realized. My mind was going really slow at the moment.

Conner poked his head out of the kitchen. “Hey honey. Glad to see you’re finally home! I’m making noodles for supper!”

“You’re cooking?” I asked doubtfully, remembering the day he managed to burn grilled cheese.

“With my help.” Answered Mirabelle peeking out.  I let out a sigh of relief.

“And I’m playing with little Paramore.” Said Seth, sitting on the couch. I hadn’t even noticed him until now. “Ouch! Stop biting!” he said to Paramore, who was attacking Seth’s fingers.

“Okay. Well I’m going to sit down and relax.” I said, walking over to the recliner. Just before I got to sit down though, the doorbell rang.

“Can you get that? I’ll be out in a minute.” Called Rena from the bathroom.

I groaned and went back to answer it. I didn’t really know what to expect Rena’s date to look like. Maybe some punk guy with a skull t-shirt or some geek with nerdy glasses. I wouldn’t have cared if it was even a girl behind that door; although I knew it wasn’t because she had said ‘guy’. Either way, it would have been some stranger that I would’ve met for the first time and sent her off with.

But it wasn’t any of type of people that I’d thought. It was someone else. Someone I knew.

I opened the door to see the back of a guy. As he turned around I gasped.

It was Brandon.

He squinted his eyes at me. “Tara?”

I nodded. “What in the world are you doing here?” I asked.

“I’m here for Rena. Where is she?”

“Um, she’ll be out in a minute.” I replied, still in a bit of shock. “So you’re her date!?”