Chapter 37

Chapter 37

               The next day I woke up at an ungodly early hour to a quiet house. For some reason, I couldn’t sleep anymore. The uneasy feeling I had hadn’t gone away on bit. In fact, it had intensified. Tiptoeing cautiously downstairs, I found Esme reading a book with no one else in sight. Not wanting to disturb Esme and deciding to satisfy my curiosity, I glided down to the basement silently.

               By using my memory as a guide, I found my way into the room next to Sara’s holding cell. She was as soundless as a grave, not moving a muscle, not even twitching an eye. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought she was a statue or something. A lump formed in my throat thinking about what could have possibly happened to the Sara I knew to have her become this. She had been, and hopefully somewhere still was, my absolute best friend from first grade. What on earth had she gone through to become this?

               Making a rash decision, I went into the room she was in. Still as a rock, silent as a ghost, she did not move or even acknowledge my presence.

               I stood a few feet in front of her, watching for anything; anything at all. But yet she stayed motionless.  Her black eyes stared down at an invisible spot on the floor, dark as the night and just as still as the rest of her. I crossed my arms and cleared my throat to no effect from her. Stepping closer, I studied her. She was so much different than what I had known. Not just the vampire things either. I mean, yes her skin was much more pale and she had a predator feel about her, but it wasn’t just that. Somewhere along the line, my friend had been lost.

               Someone would have to pay for this.

               I took another step closer, carefully eyeing up her still body. Suddenly, she lashed out and I jumped back just out of reach. Sara struggled against her binds that were still bolted to the wall, hissing and snarling like an angry feline. Except she had long, pointed fangs gleaming as she thrashed, much unlike a cat’s. The black eyes that had been on the floor were now locked onto my face. I was obviously her target here. Her efforts proved useless as she strained against her bonds though, seeing as she got no closer to touching me, nevertheless hurting me.

               “Sara.” I said with a tone of a mother disapproving a child. She struggled even more, but yet didn’t get anywhere. “Don’t you remember?” I asked in a whisper. “The day when we first met. It was at the grocery store and we were only six. I had dropped my cookie that the bakery gave for free so you offered yours to me. We were friends ever since.” She continued with what she was doing, not acknowledging anything I was saying. “Sara, can’t you see? We’re still friends! I promised to always be by your side and here I am now. Just please listen to me! Please come back to me!”

               Nothing happened, so I just continued on. “And all the times we’d climb into your tree house to make plans for our secret worlds filled with unicorns, dragons, and princes that were filled with adventure. We would spend hours in there until our mothers would make us come down for some lemonade. Back then, the alien planet attacking ours would seem like a big problem.” I laughed. “Now look what we got ourselves in to.”

               Then the smallest of things happened. Her eyes flickered. A small dart from one part of my face to another, but it was enough to inspire me to continue on. “The time your fat cat, Mr. Fluffles, completely tripped down the stairs trying to grab a stray cheese ball. We laughed so hard we were crying and gasping for air which only made us laugh more.” I smiled upon the memory.

               She kept struggling against the bonds, but stopped snarling, with her eyes widening at me. “The day that your longtime crush, Shane, unexpectedly moved away without saying a word to you even though he was your best friend. We both danced out in the rain to wash away the tears, temporarily trying to forget him.”

               “Get her. Bring her back. Get her. Bring her back.” She chanted over and over again, bringing me even more hope of maybe actually getting my friend back.

               So I kept relaying off memories even louder to cover up her chanting. “The day of our first school dance! We danced like idiots without a care in the world and everyone thought of as weirdos after that but we didn’t care because we had each other.”

               “Bring her back. Get-”she kept repeating.

               “When we snuck out at two in the morning and caught a bus to the mall which was two hours away only to find it closed! Our mothers were furious!”

               Her chants grew louder as her body started trembling along with them.

               Trying to hide my excitement, I went on. “the sleepover with your boyfriend Jake, and how we drew highlighter all over his face when he fell asleep before posting them on Facebook. He was so mad at first but laughed with us afterwards.”

               The trembles grew stronger as she starting shaking.

               “The day you found out I was a werewolf!” I shouted at her. “I nearly jumped out your window from nervousness but you ended up just wanting to adopt me as your fuzzy pet and how I declared you were officially crazy.”  

               The chants changed. “Her. Her. Her. Her. Her.”

               “The day when we random felt like throwing things down the stairs and Barbie got decapitated. After that, we lost her head for good!” I couldn’t help but laugh while shouting.

               The chanting grew stronger and faster as did the shaking.

               “The day I told you about Conner and how you conspired to write a love letter to him and how I freaked out trying to stop you. You thought we would be so cute together.” I looked away from her. “I wonder if you would think that now.”

               Her shaking intensified with the chants to the point where I almost thought the chains would shake free. But they didn’t.

               This was now or never. If this memory doesn’t get my friend back, I don’t know what will.   Still looking down, I took a deep breath before murmuring my last memory for her. “That day when I came over to your house and we laughed over silly Mad Libs. Little did we know that we would never wake up the same, or together.”

               All of a sudden, she stopped shaking and went completely silent. There was an abruptness to it and I held my breath, waiting for what was to come. If anything was coming. I stood still for a minute, with a strange feeling hanging in the air. Then something changed. The air felt different. The situation changed. “Tara.” She whispered, eyes bulging.

               There was a quietness as I wondered if she really just said my name. I took a step forward. “Sara?” I whispered, trying to contain my joy.

               Her gaze shifted back up to me. Her eyes were no longer black, but instead the smoky blue I knew and loved. “Tara!” she cried, tears forming.

               I beamed, wanting so bad to just run and hug her, but not being able to due to the chains. My friend was back. My best friend of all time that I had to endure without, for what seemed like such a long time, was finally back. Suddenly the world was better. There was a slightly brighter outlook on my life and on my future with her back. I didn’t realize how her ‘death’ had affected me so much. But now it was all better. Now Sara was back.

               If only how I knew of how her coming back wasn’t the best thing after all. If only I had remembered in that moment that someone had sent her after me for a reason. Someone that would end my life.

**************************************

ok super short, I'm sorry but juicy stuff! Sorry it took so long, I was sick for a few days there and then I had to catch up  with all the school work. But I'm back now! :)

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN (only if havent already xD)