Chapter 13

*************************************************************

My head hurt. Last night was pure craziness. I looked around. I was lying in the middle of a forest. It was fall, seeing as all the leaves were on the ground. I saw some white and black fabric; indeed I was still wearing the dress last night, with the insane 3-inch heels Alice forced me into. Suddenly I felt myself go cold and stiff as a wave of uncertainty came over me. All of a sudden I couldn’t move anymore.

A person walked in on the scene. It was a vampire with spiky orange hair. I tensed up. “Not you I growled.”

He smiled “You remember me then. Yes, it’s Isacc.”

He slowly picked up my hand and put his mouth to it, just about to bite my wrist...

I screamed.

I was shaking. Or someone was shaking me. Someone yelled “Tara!”I gasped and opened my eyes. All I could see was the evil grin on Isacc’s face. I shook my head, closed my eyes and opened them again, refocusing. Alice was crouching near me with a concerned expression. I was in her room, backed into a corner clutching a blanket, with the party dress from last night still on. I looked past Alice and saw Esme and Carlisle standing in the doorway. I took a ragged breath, still shaken up from the dream.

“Tara?” asked Alice worriedly. “Are you ok?”

I nodded my head. “Yeah I’m fine. Just a bad dream, that’s all.” I said, taking another deep breath and calming myself down. Carlisle walked over by me. “Are you sure you’re ok now?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. It was just a dream.”

“Well have something to drink.” He said, handing me a glass of water. I drank it down and gave it back to him.

“Well, I’m going to get out of these deadly heels.” I said smiling, and standing up. Everyone walked out of the room and Alice smiled.

“That’s the Tara I know.” She smirked. She left the room too, and I walked to her closet and picked out some casual clothes with sneakers. Seeing as it was November, things were getting cold outside again.  

I found the clothes I was wearing yesterday and took out the package Leah had given me. I was about to unwrap it when Rosalie walked by. “Oh hi Rosalie. Do you know where Mirabelle went after the party last night?” I asked, slipping the package in my back pocket.

“Why do I care?” She asked, scowling at me and walked off. Ok then. I thought to myself. I grabbed the DVD’s that I’d gotten yesterday and strolled over to the front door.  

“Where are you going?” asked Emmet from the kitchen.

“To the post office. I’m going to mail them for mum. They’re a bit late already and I need to get them to her as soon as possible so she knows I’m ok.”

“Why don’t you just call her?”

I smiled. “The phone service is terrible around here.”

He grinned. “Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Isn’t there one at the diner though?”

“Yeah, but it’s been broken for a week since the drunk, John, snapped the cord last week.”

“Really? I didn’t know that. Well, you better hurry on your way.”

“Yeah. Oh by the way, where did Mirabelle go? I need to thank her for organizing the parties.”

“I think back to Sam’s place.”

“Ok thanks.” I smiled and jogged out the door. I got to the post office in no time. “hi, I would like to mail these.” I smiled.

The man looked at me. “I’m sorry we can only mail one at a time.”

“Really? That stinks. How much to mail for each one?”

“Including packaging, shipping and stamps, four dollars.” I rummaged in my coat pocket and found five.

“Ok, I’ll just mail this one.” I said picking out the least recent one. “Can I add a note to it quick please?”

“Fine.” He said, getting the package ready. I grabbed one of his sticky notes and a pen and scribbled quickly ‘this video was from a month ago. Things are much different now. Hopefully I’ll come up and visit you soon. Love, Tara.’

I pressed it onto the DVD and had him mail it. Then I went over to the pack’s house. It was strangely quiet around here; like an ominous cloud was hanging over the place.  I walked in the front door and found Emily sobbing with Sam rubbing her back with a grim expression on his face. Seth was nearby, looking out the window with a stray tear running down his face.

“What in the world is going on here?” I exclaimed. (Which I’m sure many of you readers are wondering at this point)

Emily just shook her head, and Seth looked at me, and then looked away, unable to speak. So, Sam spoke up. “She’s gone. Mirabelle’s been taken away.”

“What?!?!?!? Why? By whom?”

“She’s only 15. Her parents are dead and she has no other direct living family and we didn’t officially adopt her. So technically she wasn’t supposed to even be here. So the State of Washington took her away somewhere, to a foster home, orphanage or something.

I shook my head, trying to grasp the idea that they could do this to us, to Seth. This can’t be happening! I started tearing up. “They can’t do that! She liked it here, this was her home. She was happy here. I’ll get her back somehow; I’ll find her and bring her back!”

“Tara, think rationally. They can it and they already have. To dozens of kids. She’s just another one of them.”

“She’s not just another one of them! She’s special. To us especially.” I said, looking at Seth. He didn’t even acknowledge I was here at all anymore.

“I can see why she didn’t want me telling you.”

I spun back to him. “She knew about this earlier?”

“Yes. We got the call a day before your birthday. She didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to ruin your birthday.”

I started whimpering. “This can’t happen! I won let it be!”

I ran out of the house and into the woods, wanting time alone to think this whole thing through. I just couldn’t believe Mirabelle was gone, just like that. I slowed down to a walk, tears clogging up my vision.

“Running won’t solve all your problems.” Said Leah from behind. I didn’t respond, so she continued. “I never thought I would miss Mirabelle, but seeing my brother so upset and empty without her...” she trailed off. “I would do anything to get her back now.”

I turned to look at her. “Don’t worry, I’ll get her back.”

She put her hands on her hips. “really?” and how do you suppose you’ll do that?”

“I’m going to adopt her or something like that.”

Her eyes widened, seeing as I was serious. “You’re crazy! You’re absolutely nuts!”

“I might be. But I’m also determined and stubborn. I’ll get her back.”

“You’re insane! They’ll never let you adopt her!”

“You never know until you try. Anyways, she needs to come back. I’ve seen Seth. He can’t really live without her. I know how it is to be away from your mate, Leah. It’s really bad, like you’re only half living. I’m tough enough to handle it. But he’s not like me. He needs her now. He needs her here with him.  And I’m going to get her back for him.” 

***************************************************

OMG! epic chappy! unlucky 13! anyways, COMMENT and VOTE. plus, what do you think is in the box Leah gave Tara? also you should see a little conner action in a couple chappys, so watch out for that! :)