Chapter 18

Conner’s POV

I got to Laura’s house as quick as possible. My bag was packed and everything. She had sent me a text ten minutes ago, saying ‘I got more DVDs.’

She turned on the TV, just as I sat down. I was on the edge of my seat, as I watched intently. “Hey mom.” She smiled tiredly. She looked even worse than last video. Tara went on to talk about some vampires she’d been with, then said “I’m going to Denali, Alaska to talk to some vampire coven up there and see if they’ll take me in.”

In a flash, I was out the door. On my way to Alaska. Some 2-3 days later, I reached the town. It was average sized I guess. The vampire smell here was so bad; I could’ve found their house ten miles away. Once I’d found the place, I rang the doorbell. A vampire with strawberry blonde curls answered it.

She immediately plugged her nose. “Oh god! What is a stupid werewolf doing on our doorstep stinking up our house?”

“I could say the same about you.” I said calmly. “I’m looking for Tara.”

She looked confused for a moment, and then said “oh! Tara! Yeah, I remember she passed through here about a month and a half ago. I guess you can come in.”

I walked in and saw two other girl vampires. “What is a werewolf doing in here?” asked a girl with black hair and olive skin.

“He’s looking for Tara, Carmen.”

“Tara? Are you someone from her original pack?” asked Carmen.

“Yes.”

“Then, you’re someone who betrayed her! Someone who threw her out and alone into the world!”

“Whoa, please control your temper. Anyways, I did stand up for her! I was the only one, but I did!”

The strawberry blonde piped up. “She never mentioned you.”

“I would be surprised if she did. I just want to know where you sent her off to.”

Carmen glared at me. “I don’t trust you. So I’m not going to tell you where she is.”

I groaned. Stupid vampires have a hundred years of stubbornness to them. “Please, I want to know where you sent her after she was here.”

“No. that’s my final answer. Now leave, I don’t want my whole house smelling like wet dog.” Said Carmen. I looked at her and she didn’t even blink. She wasn’t going to budge on her decision. So, I left. Stupid vampires can’t even tell me where my love is. At least I knew she was here.

Outside, it was cold and windy, and I was only wearing a sweat shirt. Even with being a werewolf, I could still freeze. I walked by a coffee shop, and decided to step in and warm up. I sat down in a small booth and turned my phone on, seeing as I’d had it off this whole time. Three new messages. All from Laura.

First message: ‘Conner! You should’ve have left so quickly! She said where she was at the end of the video dummy! You’re in Alaska huh? Ugh. Anyways, here’s the video.’

Second message: the video. I watched the entire beginning again all over again. Then, I got to the part where I’d originally run out. She talked about her meeting with them, and how they said she would be better off in a place called Forks, Washington. This time though I didn’t jump up and run out or anything of the sort. I still had more messages to read and the rest of the video to watch. She got to Forks and they let her stay for the night. At the end, she looked just plain terrible. Bags were under her eyes from all those cold nights of sleeping in the woods, and she looked overall just really bad. Yet, she still slightly smiled. “Mom, I think I might have found a new home, with some vampires and werewolves in Washington; as in the state. Even with this good turn of events I feel as if half of my heart is still missing. Hopefully I find it soon. Love you, Tara.”