Chapter 35

Chapter 35

*Conner’s POV*

Throughout the rest of the night, I was restless. The thought of another guy looking at Tara in that way just kept flashing through my mind. Now, I shouldn’t. I know I really shouldn’t have such a strong protective feel for her and shouldn’t have this bug me so much. But I could not help it.

Blame the wolf.

She is my mate after all...

She could also tell of my restlessness. Just the look she gave me at the dinner table of ‘really? You’re still thinking about that?’ I didn’t really say anything, which only helped confirm her suspicion.

Let’s just say, by the time we started getting ready for bed, I was ready to sleep off my worries. And she knew it. “You’re still thinking about that? It happened ages ago and I turned him down. You have nothing to worry about.” She said while folding clothes and putting them in the drawers.

I sighed. “Yeah, I know. I just can’t help but feel protective of you. No one truly deserves you, not even me. I was just honored to be chosen to be by your side. So thinking about any other guy thinking of you like that... ugh, it just irritates me.”

Tara turned around and faced me with a small smiled playing upon her lips. “What do I have to do to settle your mind?”She asked playfully.

Suddenly, the thoughts that were troubling me so much simply disappeared as I got a boyish grin on my face. “Well,” I said coming closer to her, “that depends.”

“On what?” she asked, quirking an eyebrow with a gleam in her eye.

Leaning in closer I whispered “On how far you’re willing to go.” She smirked before closing the gap between us and kissing me hard.

*Next Morning*

*Tara’s POV*

My bleary eyes opened to daylight streaming through the window. DAYLIGHT!?

I sprung out of bed and ran to the closet grabbing and pulling on clothes as I did. “What are you doing?” asked a sleepy Conner.

“I’m late for work!” I exclaimed, grabbing a ponytail and putting it in my tangled hair. “I forgot to set the alarm last night and now I’ve slept in!!”

“Oh. Well bye I guess.” Was his slow response.

“Bye!” I said, flying down the stairs before grabbing a bagel and running out the door.

The moment I came into the diner, Penny bombarded me. “Where were you! I had to set up by myself this morning and was just about to call Denise in to replace you! And what happened? You look like a wreck!”

Swallowing my last piece of bagel, I replied “sorry. I didn’t set my alarm. I was, um, a little busy last night.”

Her mood changed in a flash as a sly smile crept up her face. “Oh, really now? Tell me more. Was it that hunk of yours Conner that was doing the distracting?”

My face turned red as I turned away, grabbing my order book and pen and sticking them into my pockets. Changing the subject is asked “How can you manage to take the shifts ‘til nine at night and be here around six in the morning while still eating, bathing and sleeping in between not to mention having this much energy in the morning?”

She smirked. “It comes with routine and lots of black coffee. Not mention I quit my other job at the post office a while ago.”

“Huh.” I commented, fixing my hair the best I could.